Chapter Thirty Five

I was away for a mini holiday and had to live without any wifi and reception and it wasn't even that hard. But here I am back in 2017 feeling so refreshed and ready to update and write more so here is hoping that I don't go MIA on you all again.

Because you don't care? I thought. 

"It's not because I don't care," he said, as though he read my mind. And for a moment I thought I said that out loud, but I didn't. 

With a serious expression on his face, Darius continued. "It's because I trust you. And did you really think I would marry you without knowing everything about you? I'm not going to force someone to marry me just because our great grandfathers were a bunch of idiots, Ivory. Your dad told me about your relationship with James and I knew you had zero feelings for him. The only reason I even considered to think he would make a good business partner was because he was recommended and it would be rude if I knocked him right away. So I've just been waiting to turn him down." 

I stared, hardly blinking like I was hypnotized by his emerald eyes as I felt something inside me swirl. Was it pride? No. 

He said, "I left you in that room alone with him because I knew nothing was going to happen. Not many men can feel that way by just leaving their woman with some man, let alone someone they once had feelings for. It's because I trust you that I left you on your own. I don't want to choke you like our parents do."

 I was too distracted by the way he was playing with a strand of my hair as I scrutinised him under my stare. So he did care?

"What, you're not going to say something?" he asked in the voice I used before mocking me with a smile. I narrowed my eyes, playfully shoving him hard enough to turn around, mostly to hide my smile. So he did care.

But I was still a bit annoyed at him. He could have told me this before I had my little outburst, which he found quite amusing.  

I pulled the blanket higher, closing my eyes before I heard him again. "What, not even a thank you for that peacock thing?"

I made a grunting noise as I turned back around. Fine. He did win it for me after all. 

"Fine. Thank –"

He had a wicked glint in his eyes and I should have seen it coming. Before I can even finish my sentence, he bent down and closed his lips around mine.

And as quickly as it happened, it ended, leaving me confused.

"You're welcome," he said, and then he turned around pulling half the blanket to his side. "Now if you mind, some people want to sleep."

I blinked, staring at his back. Are you serious?

I grabbed the blanket and tugged it back to my side. I turned away from him. Trust him to make me even more confused. 

By the time I woke up, it was just past ten in the morning. Why was I up so early?

I turned around as I stretched, only to see that Darius had left already. I sat up looking around and raising my hands above my head. Where did he go?

I looked at the bedside table where he had laid his three phones out last night. They were all gone.

Today I have something important to do. I got up and headed to the bathroom to have a shower, taking his jacket with me. Now, to get this stain out...

I had a quick shower, washing my hair with the shampoo that smelled so good I used half of the bottle. Why did hotels always have such nice smelling stuff? I wrapped a robe around myself and then a towel in my hair and walked to the sink, grabbing the black jacket off the hook.