12. Living Conditions

Chapter 12: Living Conditions

Mika

The stupid lock was refusing to let me in. Again. God, I fucking hated this place. I hated how shitty it was, and that I wasn't allowed to fix anything up myself or risk being kicked out for 'damages'. I wasn't sure how replacing a doorknob was damaging the place, but yet, I still wasn't allowed to do that.

After struggling for way longer than I should have under the single flickering street lamp, the lock gave way and let me open the door. Except now it wouldn't let go of the damn key.

"Meeks!"

I groaned loudly at the sound of his voice, my frustration coming out when I pulled on the key and it came straight out of the lock. At least he was good for something.

"Mika! Thank god."

I turned around slowly to see Zak running down the street towards me. He stopped at the bottom of the four steps that led up to my front door, panting to try and catch his breath. I hadn't seen in him a few months, and he'd let his beard grow out a bit. I have to say I liked the look, although I couldn't stand him anymore. Maybe I'll tell Allen to grow a beard.

"You never came back here last night," he said, sounding strangely worried considering we were nothing to each other and I had no desire to ever update him on what I'm doing.

"Have you been stalking me?" I asked, crossing my arms over my chest. How else would he know I wasn't here? And why did he even care?

"No. No of course not. Meeks. I've been looking for you. I... I need you, Mika. I do. Please. Just give me a few minutes to talk to you."

"There's nothing to talk about!" I nearly shouted. Why couldn't this guy just leave me alone? "We barely had anything together, and there never will be anything between us! Can't you understand that?"

He stormed up the four steps to stand only inches away from me, determination in his eyes. "That's the thing about love, Mika. It makes a person irrational. I still love you, no matter how much you try to ignore me. I can't get you out of my head."

I slowly inhaled, focusing my attention on closing my front door instead of on Zak. My landlord would throw a fit if she saw it open like it was, complaining about letting the heat out that barely even worked. I never knew when she would stop by, so, other than it being a means to ignore Zak another moment, I didn't need to worry about her too.

I exhaled in one long sigh, raising my eyes to meet his hopeful ones. "You don't fucking matter to me, Zak," I hissed out, seriously pissed that he actually thought he could have me. I wasn't sure how much longer I would be able to handle him doing this. "Not one bit. Get that through your thick skull and leave me the hell alone."

Turns out, my patience was completely up. He had leaned over and planted his lips against mine, in one last effort to make me give in to him. I didn't. Instead, I socked him straight in the jaw.

I watched as he took a step back, obviously not expecting to get punched. His foot caught the edge of the top step and he tumbled backwards, landing hard on the sidewalk. He looked up at me, not yet standing up although it didn't look like he was hurt at all - pity. But I think he finally got the message to stay away from me.

"Mika?"

I turned at the sound of Allen's voice to see him hurrying over, Sam in his arms. I threw my arms out to the side as he came to a stop next to Zak, who was now eyeing up Allen.

"What the hell are you doing here, Allen?" I asked. "I told you not to come here!"

"Who the fuck are you?" Zak demanded before Allen had a chance to say anything, getting to his feet. "Can't you see he doesn't want you here?"