Chapter 36

I woke up the next morning in Wayne Manor and was quite surprised to find where exactly I had been sleeping. My walls were still the same neutral color that they had always been, but my bookshelves were no longer filled with fairytales and hats, but with mystery novels and text books. Sitting up, my eyes found that my desk was also no longer my desk. The computer siting on it was a laptop and everything was neatly organized.

I kicked off the blankets before standing on the floor. My shirt hung off my shoulders and I could feel small bruises where the buttons on my shorts had smashed into me while I slept. Rubbing the sleep from my eyes, I walked to the hallway and down the stairs.

“Good morning Katrina.” Alfred’s voice floated in from the kitchen. He gave a small smile before walking up the stairs and knocking on Bruce’s door.

“Morning,” I mumbled. I looked around the table to see there was a bowl of cereal waiting for me. Sliding in the chair, I didn’t notice the nearly unconscious boy on my left. “Hello Tim,” I grinned.

“Why are you yelling?” His voice was muffled by the table as he refused to sit up straight. 

“I’m sorry,” I smiled. “Would you like me to be a little quieter?” He nodded his head against the table. “Too bad!” I yelled.

“Katrina!” Tim slammed his hands over his ears while glaring at me. “Why would you do that?”

“Why would you need me to not do that?”

“You know perfectly well why not,” he groaned.

“Tim, were you drinking last night? Is that why you seem so sensitive to sound?”

“I thought you were smart. Go away.”

“Fine, you’ll just miss out on my big adventure today.” I turned to leave and heard the legs of his chair scape against the floor.

“What adventure?”

“I don’t know yet,” I smiled over my shoulder. He was standing up, giving me one of the most worrisome looks he could muster; I smiled. “Sit back down and get better, I won’t do anything overly dangerous today.”

--

“I’m so bored,” I muttered. Sitting on the bed that used to be mine was apparently the only thing Bruce and Alfred were going to let me do today since Tim was in no shape to go around town with me.

This is stupid.

I stood up and walked over to the window before opening it up to stand on the balcony. The air gently blew my hair around me, reminding me that summer had finally set in for the next few months. My hands gripped the cool cement barrier that kept me from tumbling down two stories. I needed to do something before I went insane.

“Good morning, Katrina.” I spun to see a man with black ninja-like clothes perched to my left. “The Demon has requested your presence.”

“Now? I don’t…” I stuttered. “I don’t even know what I could even…”

“He has instructed that you wear clothes that allow easy movement and make it harder for any civilian to recognize you anymore than they already can.”

“What?”

“Now.” He glared slightly, giving me incentive to hurry up.

I ran back inside and closed the door that led into the hallway, locking it as quickly as I could. What in the world was I even supposed to do? After talking to Bruce, it had been decided that full cooperation was needed with this, but I couldn’t very well tell him anything without the assassin doing anything to me. I opened Tim’s closet and started rummaging around on the top shelf hoping that Alf would’ve left a few of my clothes behind; and he did. I pulled down a pair of grey tights and a fitted, misty blue v-neck. Sighing at my bad luck, I quickly changed and grabbed a hair tie on my way back out. The ninja looked at me once before shaking his head disapprovingly.