Chapter 15

Long wait, I know. I've been writing this forever haha just slow going. I have more. It'll be up soon. Like, really soon.

Thanks for reading guys!!! You are amazing!

Chapter 15

Corinna’s POV

I woke up holding Flynn’s hand.

I blinked a few times to make sure I wasn’t imagining it but his big, warm hand was definitely gripping mine lightly. My eyes shifted to where his head was resting on his forearm, leaning onto my bed from his position in the chair beside it. I could feel the soft brush of his deep breaths against my hand as he slept, his forehead wrinkled in a slight frown as if he were dreaming about something unpleasant.

I winced as I shifted further into consciousness, realizing that my head was pounding and my body ached. Memories from the night before drifted back to me and I winced again, thinking specifically of the moment outside of my house when I’d let my fingers run through Flynn’s silky hair and told him that I wanted to protect him.

A part of me wanted to quietly slip away, to untangle my hand from his and leave the room but a much larger part of me liked being there with him, liked having my hand in his, feeling his breath across my skin as the sun streaming through my window shone on his slightly wavy hair, bringing out golden tones that I hadn’t noticed before. My gaze traveled over his face, stopping briefly on his defined cheekbones that had seen their share of bruises at his father’s hands. His strong jaw was stiff even in sleep, the stubble on it giving him a darker appearance but I knew I’d never be afraid of him.

I stiffened when he shifted slightly, his grip on my hand tightening briefly before it loosened again and his breathing regulated once more. My muscles relaxed and my eyes were drawn to the strand of hair that had fallen across his forehead and before I realized what I was doing, I was reaching out and very lightly pushing the lock aside. I froze when I finally clued in to what I was doing and jerked my hand back, my eyes wide as I stared at my betraying fingers in utter confusion. What the hell was that?

Before I could answer myself, Flynn started to stir, sucking in a long breath and letting out a groan as the muscles in his back tensed and his shoulder’s popped from being in such an odd position for so long.

“Hey,” he croaked, his voice rusty and laden with sleep as he opened his light green eyes slightly, the sun making them water a bit as they roved over my features. “How are you feeling?”

I swallowed hard and nodded, wondering if my concussion had some effect on my heart because it was beating a whole lot faster than it usually did.

“Do you have a headache?”

“Not bad,” I said with a shrug, trying to make my voice nonchalant.

He narrowed his eyes at me and I looked away, pushing myself up to a sitting position using only one hand because for some reason, I couldn’t make myself let go of his. “You’re lying,” he said, his voice filled with certainty.

I felt my lips twitch even as my head continued to throb. “Maybe,” I said with a shrug, letting a genuine grin cross my mouth as I looked up at him.

His eyes widened and his lips parted slightly as he looked at me as if he’d seen me for the first time. “What?” I asked, my smile disappearing, replaced by a confused frown. “Do I have something on my face?” I swiped my hand over my mouth, wondering if maybe I’d drooled in my sleep.

“No,” he said, blinking and shaking his head firmly as if he was trying to clear it. “It’s just...nice to see you actually smile for once.”