Part 18

My own screams woke me up as I frantically looked around the dark room; my heart racing and my body covered in sweat.
I rubbed at my eyes, trying to calm myself down and catch my breath as I realized it was just a nightmare.

I looked over at the small digital clock beside me, seeing that it was 8:23pm and realizing how long that nap I had actually was.

I sighed, my mind still cluttered with thoughts that refused to quit and a heart that now ached at a memory that I tried so hard to forget.

I decided a cold shower would do me some good, mentally and physically, considering I was now covered in sweat.

***

I switched the icy water back to hot, letting my body warm up, before turning it off and stepping out. With a towel now wrapped around my body, I walked into the bedroom where I had put all the clothes Maggie brought me, before changing into some sweatpants and a t-shirt.

I then walked downstairs and to the kitchen, opening the fridge and seeing the nearly empty container of spaghetti sitting all by its lonesome.
I hadn't bothered with bringing food back over to the house yet, but I knew I'd probably have to do it tomorrow morning.

As I finished off the cold spaghetti, I couldn't help but wonder why my subconscious brought back up that terrible day-- and then it hit me; my gun. That was the gun I used to kill Mason. That was the gun that I had since the very beginning and the only thing left that connected me to him.

I shook my head in an attempt to stop the tears from falling once again; I was tired of crying and desperately wanted to clear my mind.

I then brought the empty Tupperware container over to the sink and began to wash it, knowing that I should return it to Carol and hoping that the outing will help me feel better.

***

I closed the front door behind me; the comfortable night air hitting my skin as I began to walk down the dimly lit road until reaching the house I was looking for.
I knocked on Carol's door, holding the now clean container, before she appeared on the other side.

"Hey, Liz!" She smiled, "I haven't seen you all day, where've you been?"

"I went on a run earlier but kinda crashed for a few hours after that." I explained before holding out the container, "I just wanted to bring back your Tupperware-- the spaghetti was really good, by the way."

She chuckled, taking it out of my hands, "I'm glad you liked it! Did you want me to make you some more? Or I could make something else if you'd like?"

"Oh no, it's fine," I shook my head, "I'm just going to swing by Olivia's tomorrow and pick up a few things."

"Ok, well if you ever need anything special, you know where to find me." She smiled.

"Thank you, Carol." I smiled back, before turning and going back down to the street.

I continued walking in whatever direction my feet took me, not really caring where I ended up, just wanting to do something other than sit alone.

"Liz." A voice said lowly, immediately catching my attention and causing me to look over to a dimly lit porch.
I squinted my eyes, seeing Daryl sitting on the steps against the railing before he flicked his head, signaling me to walk over to him.

I took a deep breath, not wanting to hear anything he might say about what happened today, but deciding to play nice.

I slowly made my way over to him, my arms crossed, "Hey."