Chapter 1

Casper

I feel like I'm suffocating.

I'm laying on my back, pressing my hands above me on the rough texture of wood, trying to push my way to freedom. I'm submerged in the darkness, my eyes staring into the immense blackness, and I feel as if I'm buried alive in this confined area.

Well, I guess you could say that's partly true. I am in a coffin.

"Help, please-" I cry, slamming my fists above me, but it's useless. The coffin is shut and locked, and no matter how hard I slam my fists or how hard I kick, it won't budge without someones hand to switch the latch.

"Please, let me out!" I scream this time, fresh tears falling down my cheeks.

"I told you, the more you panic, the longer you stay." His voice is loud, he must be right over me. Sergeant Devin, the man who runs this building, and who hates me the most.

"But sir, I can't breath-"

"Then stop wasting your breath." He snaps, slamming his fist on the wood, and the force of his fist vibrates throughout the coffin. I tell myself to take slow breaths, to stay calm, but my body is shaking. It's so humid, I can feel my sweat run down my face.

Please, let me out.

What did I do to deserve this?

I met my quota today. I killed six blue-eyed, and my quota was only five. I even captured a brown-eyed. I succeeded, I did more than what Devin had asked me. And this is what I get, a claustrophobic type of torture.

"Do you know why you're in here?" I hear him say. It's like he read my mind.

"N-no sir." I stutter, staring into the dark nothingness, but I can picture Devin's angry face clearly. Dark brown eyes that look like they belong to a snakes, barely any hair on his enormous head, but thick eyebrows that are always slanted down, making him look angry. Or maybe he just is always angry, around me at least.

"First off, you're one of the smallest here. You should have the capability to fit into small spaces, especially when trying to get a blue-eyed." He explains.

It's true, compared to the other guys, I'm not the biggest. They are all huge; big and bulky, while I'm slim yet toned. Devin thinks it's a weakness, but I'm the fastest one here, for the guys, at least. Plus, I capture and kill the most.

"Second, I underestimated you, boy. You passed the quota I gave you. Am I being too easy on you? Once you reached your goal did you just sit and hang around out there?"

"No sir, I didn't-"

He slams the coffin again and I hold back tears. He didn't mean that as a question, it was a statement. Even though I barely got the last blue-eyed, even though he sees exactly what time I do kill one, he doesn't believe me. This is why I'm convinced he hates me.

There's another reason, though.

I'm different. No matter how normal I feel compared to others here, I'm labeled as different. Everyone here has brown eyes; they are considered the best. And we kill the blue eyes, which are considered dangerous.

It all started way back in time, well, it started about eight years ago, when a deadly virus spread across America. First, it was like a common cold, then a common flu, but then it turned into something gruesome. People were throwing up their own body parts, and couldn't eat any food without throwing it back up. It was a torturous virus that lasted a person about two weeks of unbearable pain, until death. But the odd thing is, it seemed to only target certain people.