Chapter 2

Slipping out from under mom and dad's watchful eye only took a few well placed words and a quick goodbye. Sliding out of their protective circle had become rather easy these past few years especially since her coming of age. Yet, she still had that twinge of guilt every time she stepped foot outside their temple home.

The streets were crowded with pilgrims of nearly every race. The devout dwarves shuffled by speaking loudly in their gutteral speech while the Elves glided by like wisps of mist and the E'dön split the sea of bodies as tall and proud as any ship.

Cathy had always found the elves alluring and couldn't help but reach for her ears when they would pass. She figured the tip of one while she glanced up at an elf, a male, in passing. He gave her a curious glance, did a double take, then narrowed his eyes at her while whispering to his elfin companion. Cathy huffed at him and shoulder her way faster through the crowd. Those that don't know, would at first mistake her as one of the Fae with her own unmistakable pointed ears. They reddened as more whispers followed her. It was natural for majickally inclined humans to have slightly pointy ears, even her parents were 'blessed'. The saying goes, longer the ear, gods the near'r. But Cathy has yet to see them or show any of the majickal talents that comes with longer ears.

She hated the haughty looks the elves would give once they knew she wasn't one of them. Even worse were the looks of awe and expectation her own family and people had of her.

She twisted through the throngs and then slipped into an enclave to wait out the crowd.

The whole town believed that she was meant for something grand. That she was destined to be the mouth piece of the Gods, a prophet of sorts. Even though the Kings men had confirmed that she didn't have a lick of talent since before her woman's curse, the people would still sneak a touch or ask for a prayer. With the ban still in effect and that she didn't have any interest in becoming a priestess or prophet, Gods forgive her, she didn't even care to try and learn majick the hard way.

The crowd thinned enough for her to take a tentative step out of the shade of protection and onto the warm concrete. Her small portion of the town was an odd mix of new technology and the old remnants of a time before. Large hol'gram screens were posted on shiny metal buildings that were squeezed between older sandstone structures spewing government approved commercials. Kids raced by on hover boards while the older generation still rode their trusty steeds. Cathy loosened her stride, shook her shoulders and breathed deep. This place always felt so vibrant. More alive than the stuffy temple her family lived in. The distant thrum of the gorgee drums echoed through the town square, probably practising for the coming Rite. Quaint shops were smushed together on either side with different advertisements in their storefront windows. Her favorite place, ironically, was an occult shop.

The Elite Men left it alone as it doesn't directly sell majickal contraband. It did sell incense, fake charms, and old books of non-majickal nature. Any young rebel worth their salt, gathered here and would pretend to be hedgewitches.

Cathy pushed the door open, savoring the sent of vanilla and cinnamon that billowed out to greet her.

"Ah, my favorite customer," a raspy voice said behind the counter deep inside the shop.

"Yar'ja?" Bells and beads jingled as she moved them out of the way to enter the dark room.

A dark twisted form rose from behind the counter. Cathy smiled and jogged over the the old creature.

Yar'ja reached for her hands and held them in her own knarled ones. "I knew you would be coming today," she said with a twinkle in her eyes.

Cathy laughed, rolling her eyes "I'm here almost everyday." The old woman patted her hand gently and made shooing motions. "Go, you troublesome child, look around."

Cathy chuckled as she figured the the various necklaces on the stand beside the counter. One caught her eye. It's irregular shape and dull golden pearlesent color intrigued her. She picked it up and held it to a candle that the old woman had recently lit. Tiny veins of red could be seen through the flat charm.

"How much for this?"

Yar'ja gave her an unreadable look and gave her a dismissive wave. "Take it, dear, I can't seem to sell the thing."

"Thank you, Yar'ja."

"Mind you, that your parents don't see it," she said shaking a finger at her. "I already got an earful from your mother the last time you came in."

Cathy slipped the leather band over her head and smiled while tucking the necklace in her blouse. "No worries. The secrete is safe with me."

The old woman hurumphed and went on to rearrange her stock behind the counter.

Cathy pulled it out once more to look at the odd charm as she walked through the door and slammed into someone. She fell in a tangle of beads and bells.

"Hey!" Cathy picked herself of the floor rubbing her hip. " Watch where you're going, bud."

The tall man bowed and studdered, "I-I am terribly sorry, dear lady. Forgive me."

Yar'ja popped her head up and shook her finger at them both. "You hulagans, better fix that." She rasped.

Cathy looked him over as she picked the beads off her. He was oddly dressed in long sleeves, a scarf over his face, gloves, and a wide brimmed hat in the heat of late summer. She raised an eyebrow. " Apology accepted," she said with a raised chin. 

The strange man bowed once more and knelt down to grab the rack that suspended the bead and bell curtain. Cathy touched her neck tentatively.

It's gone!

Cathy dropped to her knees her hands shifting through the mess on the floor. The man knelt with her peering curiously at her from under his hat.

"What are you looking at?" She asked roughly.

His eyebrows furrowed. " Are you looking for something?"

Cathy sighed, "Yes, I am. A necklace."

The man was silent for a moment. "Like this one?" He asked holding her necklace aloft. Cathy snatched it out of his hands. "How-"

"I didn't think it was yours, " he said quickly without looking at her. Cathy frowned and stood, backing towards the door. "Uh... Ok..."

He leaned towards her. "Would you sell it to me?" Cathy's eyes widened . "Ugh, no."

"But-"

"Bye Yar'ja!" She called out loudly around the stranger and before he could say anything else, she skipped out the door.