Chapter 11

1917

"Good morning, Sargent" I greeted as I saluted "Good morning, Lieutenant" I continued to walk the streets of Dublin.
Walking through the market, I stopped at one of the vendors.

"Good morning, Jeff" he looked up from the shelves "Ah, Lilly, what will it be this time?" I put my basket on the counter "Well, Shelagh's making mutton again, so the usual"

He chuckled as he picked up the different ingredients and put them into the basket "Here you go, love" I smiled "Thank you, here you go" I handed him the money.

"Thank you, lass. Be carful now" I nodded my head as I walked down the busy streets. As I walked I felt as if someone was following me, I brushed it off as I continued to walk to my flat.

~~~~

Once getting to the building, I walked up to my floor and grabbed my keys, putting them in the lock opening the door. "Hello?" I called as I closed the door.

"Girls?" I put the basket full of food on the counter "Oh, hi Shelagh" she smiled at me as she walked into the kitchen, "Are, Millie, Eilis and Bonnie home?"

She shook her head "No, they're over at the hospital" she started going trough the groceries "And that's where I should be too" I looked in the basket and saw that I forgot the stitching thread and bandages.

I sighed as she looked up to me "What?" She asked stopping her task "I forgot stitching thread and bandages from the pharmacy" I ran my hand over my face in frustration.

She opened a drawer and pulled something out, then turning to me again. She had the threat in one hand and the bandages in the other.

"You're a life saver" I said as I grabbed them from her hands "I knew you would forget it" I rolled my eyes as I walked towards the door.

"Be carful, love. You and the rest of the girls!" I opened the door "Aye, Captain" I saluted her playfully, she laughed "You're such a smartarse" I laughed as I closed the door.

~~~~

As I walked I felt the presence behind me again, I looked over my shoulder to see a large man in a long brown coat and a brown cap. He had his hands in his pockets. I looked back in front of me and jumped when saw a figure standing there.

I looked up to see my friend Sean "Jaysus, Sean, what the hell are you doing?" He smiled "I wanted to say hello" I pushed his chest "What are you doing standing there for? You scared the shit outta me" he laughed as I walked passed him.

He grabbed my wrist and pulled me into him "Where's my kiss!" I raised a brow "And why would I give you a kiss?" I asked with a smirk on my face.

"Because I'm fairly kissable" he winked at me, I shook my head and rolled my eyes "Oh, piss off" he laughed and continued to walk, I looked behind me to see the figure gone, was I imagining him?

"Hey, Lilly!" I turned to see Allen standing with Sean. I walked over to them "Hello, lass" he smiled down at me. The three of us walked to the hospital.

~~~~

Once we get there it was nothing but havoc. "I'll see you two, later" said Sean as he went to work. Allen kissed my head "Good luck, lass" he said walking away, and I went to work.

I took off my heavy green military jacket to reveal my matching uniform underneath.