Chapter 38

Previously on Silas's sister: Esters back in town and Samantha suspects something is going to happen. Elijah asked Samantha to marry him and of course she said yes. she was happy and excited at first until she realized her brother would not be able to walk her down the ile. She threw herself into her work, trying to find her brother while Elijah is being his gentlemanly self. They are both currently at the dance and she is dancing with Damon talking about the first time they had danced together.

"I mean come on, if you are going to stare someone down that long, you mind as well at least go in for a kiss," Damon said and I rolled my eyes.

"I was not, and will not, kiss Stefen. Ever. What is so wrong of me to want to be friends with him?" I asked and Damon twirled me around then pulled me back in.

"I still think there is more to the story. You just don't like sharing. I understand that. You're one of my closest friends. I can respect that you have secrets."

"MHM, okay where is Damon Salvatore. I need to find him. It seems as though I ran into his hidden twin," I mocked and he rolled his eyes while giving me that smirk of his. When the song was over we bowed to each other and talked like how we used to. But it was not long before Elijah was at my side, he had appeared out of no where. I was actually kind of surprised he was not at my side the second the song was over. I knew he was only being protective when he does thinks like that. But at least he wasn't trying to keep me in a cage or anything. I actually enjoyed having him beside me. It made me feel wanted, loved. I even felt safe around him. Which is ironic seeing as i am the oldest vampire alive. I even beat my brother in that department, granted he wasn't thinking about being the oldest vampire. He was thinking about getting me well. For that i will always be thankful.

"Elijah, it's been so long," Damon said sassily. "I have to go and check on Elena. But, I will hopefully talk to you Soon."

Damon turned and walked away just as another slow song came on. This time we could dance like this generation normally would, just swaying to the beat and holding onto the other person you happened to be dancing with. I didn't even get to turn around before I felt Elijah's hands on my hips. He pulled me in and my back rested against his chest. He swayed to the beat and I followed along. Glancing over my shoulder, I took that time to take in his face.

"I know I have been busy with trying to find my brother. But i want you to know. I still remember you, i know that i have you in my life and that i need to be thinking about our future together. But we have centuries to figure that all out." I said leaning my head against him.

"I know. You don't have to say anything more about the subject. I know that you have been looking for him for a long time. I know that he is important to you. You would understand if I was looking from one of my siblings." He kissed the side of my head.

"I don't deserve you."

"That's not true. You deserve the world. You deserve everything that life has to offer. You deserve so much." Elijah said and I smiled.

"You are my world." I said. I looked up at the glowing lights and took in the beautiful tapestries.

"I have an announcement to make," Esther said and everyone in the room stopped dancing, the music stopped and we all turned towards her to pay attention. "I would like to make a toast to my family. How after all this time we have had the chance to be together once more. This... "

"She's up to something," Elijah said taking one of the special glasses from the tray. I grabbed one as well but when i brought it to my mouth something felt off and I did not drink it.

"Elijah, wait." I said and grabbed the bottom of his glass to pull it away from his lips. He had yet to open his mouth or fully place it against his lips. Which I was glad for. "I think she really is up to something. Do you smell that?" I asked and Elijah sniffed the air.

"No. I don't smell anything besides wine and everyone's perfumes." Elijah said and furrowed his eyebrows. He went to raise the glass to his lips again when Ester raised her own to toast everyone.

"Don't." I said again and he gave me a confused look. "If truly think she is up to something. Then don't drink, eat, or touch anything she gives you. I know she is your mother. But I do not trust her..... Are you sure you don't smell that?" I asked again and tried to locate where it was coming from. It was so familiar.

"She wouldn't do anything to the wine, surely she would not harm the entire mystic falls population just to get rid of us?" He questioned but then looked at his glass and set it down on a tray. "And, no, I do not smell anything off. But you have a higher sense of smell than I do. Trust your instincts." He whispered in my ear.

I took another deep breath in to see if I could identify the smell.

Blood. That's what it was. But i knew this blood. It was old blood. An old blood line. I tilted my head to the side and looked down at my drink.

"Elijah, when you were gone for a little bit at the end of the first dance. Where did you go?" I asked staring straight ahead.

"I had went to talk to Elena about what mother and her had talked about. That was when i knew for sure mother was up to something." Elijah said and I grabbed his wrist pulling him away from the crowd.

"I know what i was smelling. I've known it for over 2000 years, I'm surprised I did not recognize it sooner. Elena comes from the same family tree as... it's not important. Either way. It's doppelganger blood." I said and got out of the house with Elijah walking beside me.

"The others drank it."

"I know."

"Do you know what she possibly could have done?" He asked and I shook my head, no.

"All I know, is that it is going to be bad."