XLIII: Snowed In

Noah

"Sir, the blizzard has set in. We've managed to get as many rations as we can for your household." a guard reports. 

"Is it still safe for you to travel back to your homes?" I question, receiving nods from the warriors gathered before me. "Return to your families then. We will be fine here."

"With all due respect, Your Highness-"

"No buts. Leave us. I can care for my son and mate by myself, I assure you all." I order, watching as they bow and file out.

Whoever the hell said that Hephaistos was a warm and sunny island deserves to be hung. The dragon population here at the land masses center makes sure it remains freezing, an optimal living place for Phoenix. Their flock leader was kind enough to grant us refuge here for longer than expected with the hit of particularly bad weather. It doesn't help that William's dragon shift chose now of all times to shed its exterior, leaving him more susceptible to illnesses as it is his primary shift.

Primary shifts for full shifters are the first beast they find themselves turn into as a toddler. They are the shift that come as easy as breathing to them. In a time of stress, William would change into his dragon easier than anything else.

We moved him to the large cellar beneath the cabin, as it is coldest there, unaffected by the fireplaces warmth from above. It gives him enough space to go between human and dragon as he wishes. When I walk down there, Artan is feeding his papa some soup while the king is in human form.

"Pup, I left your lunch on the table, go eat it. I'll take care of Papa, okay?" I say, bending to my son's height, ruffling his soft brunet locks as he nods, running off.

"How's the pain?" I question.

"Not bad, nothing I can't handle. Soon I'll have to stay in dragon form for a few hours."

"We'll be upstairs waiting then. I don't want Arty getting sick."

He nods sadly.

"I wish I could stay in this form longer-"

"That's what's causing the pain?" I ask.

"Well, yes-"

"Shift now. No buts. The sooner you let it happen, the sooner you can join us to watch the snow fall."

"Yes, mother." he replies, snarky.

I glared at him and his laughter ceases as he apologizes.

I watch as he shifts into his dragon form, running my hands along his scales that haven't begun to peel off. He reflexively moved towards me, his eyes flashing Enzo's amber before returning to emerald. He must be much more defensive in this state.

I left him to his own devices down there, returning to see Arty eating his own soup with bread, looking out at the storm whirling around us.

"Are you almost done, Art?" He turns his attention to me at the sound of my voice and nods.

I sit beside him, watching the outside as well, as he finishes up. He places his empty bowl on the table, and returns to my side in time to see the balls of flame light up the sky.

"Daddy look at the phoenixes!" he exclaims, excitedly, wonder across his face as he stares at the herd of fiery birds. "I wish I could go out and see them up close."

I look down to his soft skinned wrist, looking at the royal mark that now adorned it. I remember bestowing it on him before leaving Gaia, William insisting that it was crucial to do it before we entered the strange weather climates of Hephaistos.