XLV: Maddox

Maddox

Twisting the ring on my fourth finger on my left hand, I stared out to the view of the sea outside of my window.

Hazelwrenn is beautiful this time of year, the air humming with energy.

I have counsel with his grace, King Dacre in just a few hours, maybe less.

"Cousin, if I didn't know any better I'd say you and Dacre got dangerously close." James remarks, pouring himself some scotch.

I roll my eyes at this. I was faithfully married. I bowed down on my knees, ready to serve, for no one but my spouse. This king was simply just a friend.

"You joke too much, cousin. You know my wife would sooner become his assassin than allow me to succumb to such desires."

He cackles at this nodding.

"I still feel bad for him. Poor Evan, that caster did nothing so bad to the gods for them to have punished him with a husband such as yourself."

I set a steady glare on James as he doubles over laughing. How I was related to this half baked duke is a mystery. Clearly my branch of the family gained the intelligence of he and his crew were anything thing to go by.

Soon after he sobers up, a knock is heard at the front doors, lying behind the wooden slate, a messenger from King Dacre.

I strode into his chambers with a certain elegance, giving him an abbreviated bow, sitting when motioned to do so.

The object of this meeting is unknown to me. What he seeks to accomplish completely unknown to me.

"Maddox, I've gotten to know you on your brief stay here, and I already trust your opinion. What do you make of your homeland?" Dacre questions.

What do I make it Natus? What of this? What does an animal think about the land they were birthed, raised, and graze on? It is plentiful, something to give thanks in. But as a traveler what do I make of my homeland? Is it better than others? Do I tell the country's truth or the whole truth?

"The cities are unified, but at the countryside, problems need attending to. There is still hatred there, but it's nothing like what I've witnessed on my travels to Anicia. We are much more put together than they are." I swirl the liquor in my chalice, looking at the great king of the witching world.

"Anicia is a land of fools. They claim to be champions of the shifter world, yet their citizens are hateful to those different than they are. Of course Natus is more organized. William's kingdom doesn't give the three kings much of a run for their money." Dacre laughs at his joke, before taking a sobering breath. "Still I must give the upstart credit. He has backbone, vision, ambition. Not even his first decade as King, and he's already enforced his rule. Touring around his kingdom, making sure none of his officials can oppose his new system, simply genius. His mate as well, hasn't been known to the people more than three years and they already sing his highest praises. That's something Anicia has on Natus. Their leadership."

"That very well might be. King Noah has managed to accomplish what King Asher has yet to do in half the time."

"Asher is tactical. His people may not all adore him, but they must admit that he has made a great many improvements to their troubles. He has the money to pull it off. Noah is a dreamer. His people adore him, trust his motives and actions. He has the ambition to pull what he wants done off."

"The way you speak of the two I'm unsure if you admire them or hate them, Your Grace." I comment.

"I hate the third piece to Natus' leadership, but must give credit where it's due. As for the second King of Anicia... I know not yet what to make of him. I haven't had the pleasure to meet with him yet, every deduction has been made be his already forming legacy."

"That's more dangerous. Having an impression before the first meeting. If he falls flat from your expectations, you won't be able to give the man a fair chance."

He nods thoughtfully on this, and his office is engulfed in the silence.

"What of you? What do you make of him?"

"Truthfully? I feel like it's his compassion that will lead to his ruin." The words felt heavy on my tongue, but my heart felt lighter, as if a dark secret has been exposed, and a weight lifted from my shoulders.

"Leave me. I have much to think on."

"As you wish." I rise, bowing before letting myself out of the room, where two servants awaited me to guide me back to where James resided currently.

I look to my cousin expectantly, watching as the servants scurry off on his demands that they leave.

"Your ship leaves the dock today yes?" he questions.

"At noon."

"You'll be reunited with your family then."

I smile at this, twisting the mating ring on my fourth finger, thoughtfully. It's been a long two months without seeing their darling faces, but work had to be done here.

"King Dacre requests I personally deliver a message to Anicia for him."

James dropped the bottle of brandy he just picked up, the sound of the glass shattering echoing throughout the room. He cared not for his ruined leather boots however, as he stared at me as if I was mad.

"The seas there are rumored to be rocky at the moment. You must wait it out."

"We'll be fine. My captain is experienced."

We argued on the matter for another hour before he dropped the matter, telling me that it was my own death wish.

I came to wish that I had paid attention to his warnings, as my captain frantically commanded that the casters jump us away from the heart of the storm. The casters were not yet ready when lightning struck the deck, catching fire to the wooden boards, soon engulfing the oil barrels that lie near the center mast. Sea water sloshed around us but it still did nothing for the flames.

The men and I soon decided we would rather take our chances with the rocky sea and it's murky uncertain waters than to be burned alive.

The water hit us hard, witches all saving themselves, casting quick spells for gills. I drifted away from the rest of the crew, watching in horror as some people screamed from above, still on the ship, not being strong swimmers. The casters managed to help those they could find among the rocky sea, but I drifted away, soon out of sight, only hearing shouts in the distance, water taking me under.

Certain I was safe, I shifted, diving into the depths, the water no longer fighting me as in this form, I had the blessing of the sea gods. I pumped my tail, rushing off full speed to my destination.

Hours later, I found myself on the shores of Hemera, looking around. I shift back. I wasn't shy in my nakedness, walking to the pile of clothes lied out on the table to dry, putting them on. I quickly dressed, making haste to seek help in the main pavilion, where some living thing was bound to be at this hour, as the sun would soon rise high in the sky.

As I walked onto the manor's lawn I caught two children playing in the open stone pillared halls lining the courtyard. They appeared to be playing with a ball, the blond tossing it to the unsuspecting young lord, causing it to crash to the floor.

The children twist around, looking for witnesses, the blond spotting me. It was as if some fire within him was ignited, as he ran at me full speed, arms extended, knocking me off my feet at the sheer force of the attack, clinging onto me for dear life.

"Papa!"

"Artan, what did I tell you about playing ball near expensive- William."

I look up, away from my son, to see the brunet with the dazzling eyes that I have been missing for the past two months, on an undercover trip to Hazelwrenn.

"Noah."