Warm breaths and Frigid Air

~I'm sorry this chapter is a bit short, but it kind of had to be :) It all works out~

I heard a quiet swoosh from behind me. A second later Severus's cool hand gently pulled mine away from my eyes while his other hand tilted my chin up so our eyes met. His face was a mixture of pain, regret, frustration and anger. My chest hurt from all the emotions I was experiencing. I didn't know what was going on with Snape. One minute he was hot, the next he was cold.

"I told you not to do that again," he murmured softly. Both of our breaths were coming out in soft plumes from how cold it was in the dungeons. I couldn't feel the cold right now though.

I closed my eyes as more tears made their way up. I felt myself being pulled firmly against him, and his arms wound around me protectively. I gripped him as if my life depended on it and cried softly into his robes. He kept perfectly still for a long time.

"I'm sorry," he whispered into my ear. I could just feel his warm breath through my hair. My heart stopped for a moment at his words. It felt so nice to be in his arms. I never wanted him to let go and slowly my tears stopped.

I drank in the earthy scent of him. He smelled so manly; a hint of spice mixed with something I couldn't quite place, but it made my mouth water. It was soft and feint, but I knew I would never forget that smell. His chest was broad and firm. I could feel the muscles beneath his clothes. They were strong and defined without being obnoxious. I wondered why he always wore clothes that hid any trace of them. Probably so ridiculous students wouldn't chase after him, I mentally chastised myself.

I felt myself growing increasingly tired as I rested against him. I felt certain I could fall asleep right there, standing up, in his arms; but all too soon he pulled back and held me at arm's length. My face was dry now, and I was calm.

"I cannot deny that there is something between us, Miss—Isabella," he started more patiently than I would have thought possible of him. "How this came to be, I do not know. What I do know is that this can't happen. It would end horribly for the both of us. Do you understand?" I shook my head feeling nearly overwhelmed with sadness.

"I don't think I am capable of understanding," I sighed deeply. His hands tightened briefly on my arms, but it wasn't painful. It was as if his body responded to his frustration instinctively.

He pulled me a little closer and brought one hand up to caress the side of my face. His eyes seemed to stare into my soul making me feel vulnerable. We stood like that for a long minute. Only the vapor of our breaths moved in the potions classroom. It truly was magical.

"You should go," he breathed defeated. For once he didn't resort to anger when someone couldn't properly understand him. I wish he would try to explain his thoughts to me though.

I placed my hand over his lightly half expecting him to jerk away, but he didn't. He did, however, flinch ever so slightly which caused me a dull pang in my stomach. I very slowly took his hand and pulled it away from my face. Then, for just a few seconds, I laced my fingers with his. He wasn't breathing now; neither was I. It was so beautiful and bitter-sweet I could have died in that moment without a care.

I pulled away with agonizing slowness, dropped his hand, and gathered my things. I gave him a small sad smile as I left to let him know I was okay. His face remained expressionless, but he couldn't hide his feelings completely in his eyes. Those eyes...

I returned to my dorm without hurry. I felt sad and tired, and I desperately wanted to talk to Lynx. I was sure she would make me feel better. I wish I could understand Snape. He's just so complicated and reserved. I sighed as I approached the entrance to Slytherin's common room. I mumbled the password and went inside.

I found Lynx in our dorm studying through her transfigurations book. I said nothing as I walked across the room to my bed. Lynx instantly put her book away and came over to me with a concerned expression.

"What's wrong, Babe?" she asked sincerely. I gave her a half smile that didn't reach my eyes. I took a deep breath and explained everything that had happened tonight without missing a single detail. She hung on my every word, and when I finished her face was screwed into an unhappy scowl.

"That arse! He makes you cry then apologizes and asks you to leave. Who does he think he is?" she ranted. It made me smile. She's just as protective of me as I am of her.

"You make it sound worse than it is," I soothed. She cut her eyes at me with a withering look.

"Don't give me that Izzy, he hurt your feelings," she pouted. I patted her shoulder with a small laugh. She had a unique way of making really complicated things sound simple.

"He did apologize though, and I know he meant it," I told her honestly. She let out a sigh that told me I'd won her over.

"So neither of you claims to know exactly how strong these feelings are or where they came from huh?" she asked. I shook my head. She thought for a minute before she spoke. I gave her a questioning look. She winked.

"You need to take your mind off him a bit. If you obsess you'll scare him away."

       I nodded my understanding. I still wasn't in the mood to say much, but I knew she was right. Snape wasn't the kind of man to be won by clinging. Lynx leaned over and hugged me.

"You're great Izzy, you'll get your guy. He'll be lucky to have you too, once he realizes it," she gave me an award winning smile and went back to her bed. I fell asleep soon without bothering to change into my pajamas.

~I could use as much help as possible spreading the word about this story so I'd be eternally grateful for any of you who tells people about it :) thank you~