Chapter XXVI - Reconciliations

Glyn's expression was a mixture of bitter, angry and vengeful when he looked at me. He seemed to like Melia well enough. She was his cousin's wife, and he had nothing against Anlai. Me, however...

"I don't think we have been introduced," Glyn said too quietly.

"That might be because you ignored your brother every time he tried to introduce us," I replied bluntly. "No matter. I'm Lyra-"

"-Slipchains. Yes, I know." He tipped his head to one side. "Word around the campfire says you're sharing his bed, so I don't think we're going to get along."

Gods, what a horribly precocious eleven-year-old. It was a shame he had decided to hold a grudge, because I was sure we could find a use for him elsewise. He was smirking at me, thinking himself so very clever, and I smiled back because I saw right through it.

Melia came to stand at my side. "Give it a rest, Glyn."

"No, I don't think I will. This was my father's tent before he was murdered - did you know that? He would sit me on his knee and tell me stories in here. Now it belongs to him."

"Funny how you decided to come visiting just when Tem is out," I mused, completely ignoring him. "Was that a coincidence, or are you scared of your big brother?"

An unknown emotion flickered in Glyn's eyes. I decided to take it as acquiescence and go from there. Melia must have reached the same conclusion.

"Anlai told me what happened," she said gently. "You have every right to be angry. But ... I don't think you should despise him. He had a good reason for what he did."

"A damned good reason," I agreed.

Glyn stalked closer, until I could see the whites of his eyes. "Why are you defending him? You weren't even there. Neither of you were. What he's told you ... it's bullshit."

Then, all of a sudden, I understood. "But you weren't there either, were you? I don't think Temris let you watch the challenge. Now you can't find it in you to believe that your father was trying to kill him, no matter how many people tell you so. Hating the dead is a lot harder than hating the living. You blame Temris because he's alive."

He opened his mouth furiously and was likely about to curse the living hell of me, had the warriors not chosen that opportune moment to return. Temris poked his head through the tent entrance, noticed the unspent tears in his brother's eyes and immediately averted his gaze. I could have sworn he jerked back slightly, as if he had to leash his instincts to comfort the boy.

"Could you make room on the table?" was all he said.

I waved at Melia to do as he said and followed him back into the night. Glyn made an attempt to slip away quietly but was thwarted when he saw what waited outside. Fendur was slung between Anlai and Colloe, his arms over their shoulders. The younger Iyrak was deathly pale and grimacing with pain. Behind them all, Samira led Nightmare, which would have been fine if Bevan hadn't been slung over the horse's back and still as the grave.

It was a group effort to get Fendur lying face-down on the wooden table. A few inches of thin wood protruded from his left shoulder blade. Bevan wasn't so privileged. Samira dumped him onto his bedroll in the other tent and returned to check on the more serious patient.

"What happened?" I demanded. Things had been going smoothly when I left.

"That damned idiot" -Temris waved a hand at Fendur- "took an arrow for me. At least, he claims it was for me. I'm not entirely sure he wasn't just being stupid. As for the stripling ... he thought he could fight Yarrow over orders. Apparently, the Brakins refused to take prisoners."