Chapter Eight

Persephone pulled away and shook her head, "I-I'm going to have a talk with that-"
Credence shook his head, "Don't, you'll only make it worse," he said sadly.
She looked at him apologetically, "I want to make it better," she said and frowned.
Persephone felt helpless. She couldn't do anything because if would most likely expose the wizarding world to the lady who hated wizards and witched more than anything.
"You've done enough, Persephone," he said and smiled slightly at her.
Persephone sighed and nodded, "Whatever you say," she said gently.
He took her hand, "C'mon let's walk," he said calmly and walked out of the alley.
-
Credence ended walking home late once again, a small smile on her face. Persephone followed closely behind, making sure she wasn't seen. She wanted to make sure Credence was safe, again it was her fault he had to be beaten by his adoptive mother.
As he neared the ominous building, Credence seemed to slow down his strides. All he wanted was to stall, maybe Mary Lou would go to bed.
He walked in slowly and there, he saw Mary Lou wearing her usual sadistic smile. She stuck her hand out, it was odd how calm she was. The tension in the room could be cut with a knife and Persephone listening nervously. She couldn't hear anyone talking.
Credence was reduced to his weak and helpless state. Persephone made him feel strong, but she wasn't here right now. He could only feel useless.
"Ma..." Credence pleaded.
She only stood there, staring at him. It was dull and cold and made Credence want to break down crying. It shouldn't do that.
Credence finally gave in and undid his belt, handing it to his mother. She smiled and Credence made his way to the stairs, walking up slowly.
Persephone followed silently, glaring at Credence's mother. She hid behind a post as she prepared to beat him.
"I want you to know that I'm doing this because I love you," she said airily, a small pleased smile on her face. Credence was kneeling, looking out over the railing of the loft.
As she lifted her arm to strike, Persephone walked out and pointed her wand at the wretched woman; "Stupefy!"
Mary Lou was stunned and fell to the floor as Credence got up and ran over to Persephone, hiding behind her like a little boy. Persephone grabbed his hand and gripped it tightly, biting her lip as she looked down at the woman. The adrenaline slowed and Persephone started to realize what she had done.
"Oh no," she whispered and started running out, pulling Credence. Once they were a good deal away, Persephone pressed her back against a wall and slowly sunk to the floor. She buried her head in her knees with regret, shaking in fear.
"What have I done?" she whispered as tears slowly rolled down her cheeks.
Credence frowned as he kneeled to the floor to observed the sobbing girl.
"Are you okay, Seph?" he asked gently and reached over to grasp her hand in his.
She shook her head slowly, "I'm really not," she whispered and managed a small but pained laugh.
He grabbed her shoulders and pulled her foreword into a hug, "It's okay."
She shook her head, "It's not, did you see what I just did?"
Credence frowned but nodded, "It was amazing, Persephone."
She shook her head, "I'm gonna be in so much trouble, Credence."
He sighed, thinking for a moment. He knew that the moment she took out her wand, Persephone was in trouble. He just hoped that it wouldn't be such a big deal.
"We'll deal with it later," he said, "why don't I walk you home?"
She nodded and sighed, standing up and wiping the tears off her face. Queenie would know what happened the second she walked in their little apartment. Oh, she was so dead.
The two walked silently through the streets but had their hands intertwined. They were both internally panicking. When they got to her apartment, Persephone invited Credence inside. What harm could it do now. She dragged herself up the stairs and opened the door. Inside, she heard plates shatter as they fell to the floor. Queenie knew.

-

A/N: Sorry it's so short, and sorry I haven't updated in a while. Stuff has been going on and it kinda sucks but I'm doing my best to get back on track. <3 The Small Teaspoon