12 - Parting

Our vacation ended fast but returning to the campus felt great. Sabay kaming bumalik ni Akira pero noong nasa gubat na kami ay nagulat ako dahil bigla siyang tumakbo.

"Wait! Why are you running?" I asked and I was forced to run because of her.

"Something good is happening," sabay lingon niya sa akin habang nakangiti.

Wala naman akong nagawa kundi tumakbo papunta sa dorm kahit na ang dami naming dalang gamit. After a few minutes, we stood in front of our room, catching our breaths. Akira opened the door and I saw several people gathered inside.

"Sabi na nga ba! Naririnig ko ang mga boses niyo rito sa kwarto," Akira beamed.

"Why do we need to run, though?" bulong ko na lang dahil napagod ako sa ginawa namin pero nagulat ako nang makita ko si Mitsuo. I tried to remain calm but what happened a few days ago came into my mind.

Inayos namin ni Akira ang gamit namin at sumali sa usapan nila about sixth and seventh sense. They were still trying to figure out the meaning of it until we all get tired. Napansin ko naman bigla ang kilos ni Akemi

'Are you okay?' tanong ko dahil parang lumilipad ang isip niya. I tried reaching for her deeper thoughts but all I can hear was her being suffocated and cornered. Hideo also looked at her but she averted his gaze.

'I'm fine. Hindi lang ako nakapagpahinga nang maayos.'

Umupo siya sa gilid ng kama at bigla naman kaming nagkatinginan ni Hideo.

'Please look after her,' he said and I nodded.

After that, they all decided to leave so that we can rest but Mitsuo turned around and our eyes met. I wanted to ask him about the details that day but he just left after he calmed me down without any explanation.

'Do you mind explaining what really happened few days ago?' tanong ko.

'No need to,' he said. 'Just pretend that didn't happen.'

'I can't. I saw it with my own eyes. That guy . . . he's a Senshin and I don't understand why he did that.'

'He was'

Our conversation was suddenly cut off by loud thud and Akira's scream. When I turned around, Akemi was already laying unconscious on the floor. Hideo immediately carried him and Akira went with them. Mitsuo and I stood still, neither one of us yielding.

"He was what?" tanong ko naman matapos ang nangyari kay Akemi. I was worried but I know that Hideo would take care of her.

Nagulat naman ako nang bigla siyang naglakad papunta sa akin at huminto siya sa harapan ko. I tried my best to stay calm but his intensity was draining my composure. He leaned over me, his mouth near my ears.

"You don't need to know," he whispered. "No. It's better if you don't know."

"Why?" mahina kong tanong. "Is it some kind of classified mission?"

"No," he said but I heard some hesitation in his voice.

"You seem unsure."

Umayos na lang ulit siya sa pagkakatayo at tumingin sa mga mata ko. I don't know why but the more serious his expression is, the more I want to taunt him. I want to know what's going through his mind . . . his thoughts.

'As expected from her.'

Napatigil naman ako nang marinig ko 'yon. His mind was slightly opened and I can clearly hear his thoughts.