Maybe James Isn't A Just Anymore?

True to his word, Jasper Odair was sitting on the curb out front of the Odair house when Lily arrived in the Morris Mini. She parked at the end of the driveway and got out, and Jasper unfolded himself from where he'd been sitting, reading a book. He folded the small paperback in half and tucked it into the back pocket of his trousers and walked over to her, "Lily," he said, voice smooth, and he bent, meaning to kiss her, but she turned her face and he got her cheek instead. He gave her a funny look.

Lily slid her hand through his. "Hi."

"Hullo," he replied. Her hair was in a very basic ponytail, her dress so plain. She had put on very little make-up, her eyes a little red... Jasper felt his stomach sink. "Lily..."

"Let's go for a walk," she suggested.

He looked back at the house - Edgar was spying through one of the windows. He nodded and he led the way away from the house, down the street, out of Edgar's sight. Lily held onto his arm. When they'g gone a bit away, Jasper sat down on a bench meant for people waiting on the bus. Lily sat beside him and they were both silent for a few moments. A bird was chirping in one of the trees behind them and Lily bit her lips, trying to get up the nerve to do what she'd come to do.

Jasper spoke first. "You're breaking up with me," he said.

Lily instantly felt terrible because of the tone of his voice. But she nodded.

Jasper nodded and stared down at his hands, his lips pursed.

"It's not because you were a bad boyfriend or anything like that, you were very good, really," Lily said, trying to make it better, unwittingly being as cliche as possible, "It's me, it's isn't you."

Jasper closed his eyes, pained at these words, "Is there another boy?"

Lily hesitated. "I don't know yet. Maybe. Sort of. We haven't done anything at all. He's just a friend, but... but it could become more... I... I hope it does. And it isn't fair to you if I hang on while I'm hoping for something else. Even if it doesn't happen, I'm hoping for it and... and that isn't fair for you. You deserve someone who sees nothing but you. Who thinks of you when she wakes up in the morning." Lily reached over and brushed a bit of hair from his forehead.

Jasper blinked and a couple tears rolled over his cheeks - very defined tears. Distinguished tears, she thought - the voice was James Potter's. She bit her lip to keep from smiling at the memory of James's face as he'd bragged about his man-tears. She looked down at the bench.

"I'm sorry, Jasper," she said.

He turned to look at her, their eyes meeting. "Whoever the lad is, he's lucky," Jasper whispered. He knew it was James Potter, he didn't need her to say it. In fact, he didn't want her to. He drew a deep breath.

"Whoever ends up with you will be lucky, too, Jasper," Lily promised. "You're a wonderful person."

Jasper didn't answer, he didn't look like he thought Lily to be telling the truth, though.

Suddenly, his name cut through the thick evening air. "JASPER BRIAN ODAIR!" It was his mother. She was standing at the edge of their lawn in her dressing down, her unkempt hair and cigarette accessories really completing her look. She had one hand on her hip.

He looked at Lily. "I need to go."

"I thought she said it was alright for you to talk awhile tonight?" Lily asked.