Chapter 11

They sat together on a backless wooden bench, under a lantern and colorful banner. Next to them was a stand with a white and red striped awning, where two girls in aprons sold mulled wine, cider and sweets. Caramel apples seemed the most popular.

By the fire, Kitera danced tirelessly, smiling and hitching her skirts at her hip with one hand.

Jaden followed his gaze. "So you two do know one another."

Noah voiced a faint chuckle. "You don't sound shocked."

Jaden didn't reply. Noah offered his scarf. "Here. You can have that back."

"I thought your grandmother made it for you." A smile hid in the corner of Jaden's lips.

"She would want you to have it," Noah said.

"Well then, I shall honor her wishes." Fully smiling now, Jaden accepted the scarf.

After a silent moment, Jaden asked, "I was wondering . . . are you and Kitera romantically involved?"

Noah arched an eyebrow. "Are you really asking me that?"

"I'm curious," he confessed.

"She does have a boyfriend, and no, it's not me. Sorry. Well, you could try to break them up." Noah shrugged. "But knowing the guy, he might kill you."

Jaden shook his head. "I wasn't . . . No matter. She's an amazing woman."

"She is," Noah said.

"And yet," Jaden went on, "I must admit she eludes me. She's with your cult—assuming cult there is—whilst she serves the queen. Where do her loyalties truly lie?"

Noah sighed. "I'm really hoping that was a rhetorical question, because I don't know how the hell I can respond to that."

Jaden nodded, his gaze lingering on a group of people strolling away with just-purchased caramel apples.

"Do you want one?" Noah asked.

"Perhaps later . . . If I may be blunt, I can't stop thinking about your demon. Is she human?" He searched Noah's eyes.

"My strategy," Noah explained, "was to entice you with a caramel apple so you'd forget all about that, forever."

"A fine strategy."

"Look, this is weird for me, all right?" Noah ran a shaky hand through his hair. "I've been keeping this secret for five years."

"Five years? How old were you when you bonded with your demon?" Jaden asked.

"Fifteen."

Jaden frowned. "Forgive me, but your cult leader has questionable methods. From what I gathered, the Dragon would never approve of performing the ceremony on one so young."

"By the gods, he sure sounds charming. I especially like the part where he put a curse on you that poisoned your blood and almost killed you. Truly, this Dragon fellow is a man to look up to."

Jaden avoided his gaze as he wrapped his coat tighter against the rising wind, the banner above them flapping wildly.

"Don't judge when you don't know anything," Noah said.

"You're right. My apologies."

"And stop apologizing all the bloody time."

Jaden's lips twitched into a smile.

"May I inquire as to why you did it?"

"Did what?" Noah asked.

"Why did you heal me?" A shadow crossed his eyes. "You got a mark for it, didn't you?"