Chapter 22

The exhaustion of the fight caught up with me as I struggled to maintain a hold on the wet, frosty bars, my stretched-out arms screaming after the first minute. I dared to steal a glance below, regretting it instantly. The beauty I once saw in those rolling waves had now turned into curling, crashing shadows. One wrong slip and I would plummet down into a premature watery grave.

            I was clutching the middle bar of the railing – it was not so drastic as hanging onto the bottom, but I was still unable to angle my body to manoeuvre through the gap. I made the bold decision to free one of my hands and reach up, taking in a deep breath, the weight of the fight holding me down.

            I exhaled, groaning in exasperation as my arm dropped.

            "You're stuck now," said the woman. She was panting beside me, even more tired than I was as her face turned red, her limbs vibrating so violently she shook the bars. "This is what happens when you cross Mika."
"And you obeyed him," I groaned. "Look what happened."

            She scowled, opening her mouth to speak but I was finished. I had to conserve energy – every ounce was essential.

            I would not die so easily – not yet.

            I made another attempt for the bar, assembling every scrap of strength left within me to leap and grab it.

            I missed by barely an inch. The tips of my nails scraped against the metal and I dropped to the final bar with a gasp, having to wrap my arms around it just to hold on.

            She laughed at me. "You're wasting energy. Just give up already! My men are coming for me, and who do you have? No-one! Agent Barnes is a selfish bastard. He'll—" She choked as her grip faltered. "He'll leave you behind just as he does to everyone else."

            I shot her a glare more powerful than any bullet, my eyes widening as my grip slipped again on the salted, sea-soaked metal. Dead algae greased up my hands, knocking one off so it swung at my side.

            She laughed again as I gulped.
"Have a nice swim," she said, nodding at the water.

            I ignored her, trying to pace my breathing. I needed two hands on the bar.

            I swung my loose arm once and missed the bar. I tried again but failed. Gritting my teeth, I made another attempt far stronger than any other, but the alternating force moved my secure hand so the algae wiped my palms.

            And both hands came loose.

            I sucked in air as if it would save me, already feeling the spray of the water, the salt of the sea. The anger – the regret – and the fear lasted an age.

            It was all blown away with the wind as a strong hand grabbed mine.

            I gasped, worried my arm would snap at the force. I beamed at the relieved face that met me over the railing.

            Derek Barnes.

            The empty weightlessness had vanished when he held onto me.
"I think that's enough hanging around tonight!" he called over the crushing waves. I forced a laugh, but it was not at the joke.

            He clenched his jaw and lifted me up. My nerves reverberated at the image of him, and I gawked at how the aqua moonlight lined his face – the lines were so traceable.

            When I was close enough I reached to push myself up, but Derek gripped my torso and hauled me over the railing. Once safe, he put his hands on my shoulders, eyes flitting across my body for any sign of injury.
"Are you alright?"
I checked him over; his lip was cut, and a red mark brushed his right cheekbone, but he was mostly unharmed. "Yes!" I exclaimed, adrenaline still needlessly running through me. "What about you? What happened to—?"
"You were taking your time," he said. "I blinded him with gateau then threw a chair at his head."