Chapter 28 | I'm Yours

28

─── • ─── 

ISABELLA

Of course. I feel blood rush to my cheek when I realize what day it is: our monthly anniversary. It might not be an insane milestone, but knowing Miles, he'll make it feel just as special.

We ride the elevator the rest of the way and right before the doors open, he covers my eyes with his hands. "Miles!" I try to pry his hands away, but he doesn't budge. If I see what's up here, I can see if my guess is right.

"Just keep your eyes closed." He nudges me forward, so I walk.

I hear keys jingling. Suddenly, a warmth engulfs me, wrapping around my bare arms like a blanket. I can't help the laughter from bubbling out of me.

"How much longer?"

Miles' lips graze the back of my ear. "Patience," he demands, and I oblige.

A moment later he asks if I'm ready. Smiling uncontrollably, I nod my head. "I'm ready."

His hands leave my eyes and I blink until they adjust to the light. When I can finally see clearly, my breathing stops.

"Oh my gosh." My feet instantly start moving around the dimly lit greenhouse. Flowers decorate the space, vines cling to the white beams, and a low hum from the heaters fills my ears along with the faint sound of my heels clicking against the concrete.

I take my time exploring each nook. I find a makeshift bed littered with pillows. Fake candles glow a faint orange; it looks like a scene from a movie. I turn toward Miles. "This place has been on the roof the entire time I've lived here, and I never knew?"

"It's the build owner's private greenhouse; I asked if I could borrow the keys for the night." He dangles them. "I know we've only been dating for a couple of months, but I wanted to do something special for you."

I walk toward him, throwing my arms around his shoulders. He presses his nose against mine, but I have different plans. I kiss his lips gently. "Miles, this is so kind of you, thank you."

He guides me to the blankets. Before we sit, he unbuttons his tux jacket. I watch his fingers make their every move. He tosses his jacket on the ground and takes off his bowtie.

I know he's taking these off because of how muggy it is in here, but I can't help but feel like this will lead to something more. The only thing I have to take off is my dress, and I can't do that alone.

"I have something else." He reaches behind a potted plant, materializing a small cooler that I didn't even see. It's so random, it makes me chuckle.

"You really thought of everything."

"Of course, I did. I'm me." He winks, prying open the wine bottle. He pours us both a generous glass and we sit in comfortable silence, sipping the cool liquid.

A bead of sweat rolls down my face. Miles thumb instinctually reaches forward to wipe it away. It wasn't supposed to be sensual, but somehow, it was.

"Did I tell you how beautiful you look tonight?"
"Hmm," I ponder, "I think once or twice. Did I tell you how handsome you look tonight?"

"You did." He nods, taking my wine glass from my hand, and sets them down, away from us, and inches toward me. He is leaning over me. I feel my heart crashing in a crazy rhythm; I want him to put his hands on me.