Part 20

After waking up well rested and nearly levelheaded, I took a quick shower before heading downstairs and grabbing the food, that was brought over last night, out of the fridge.
I opened it to see instant mashed potatoes with gravy, along with some steamed vegetables, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't over the moon-- I hadn't had mashed potatoes since this whole thing started.

***

After I finished eating, I headed over to Oliva's place, hoping to pick up a bit of food just to have in the house so I don't have to rely on the kindness of others around me.

I knocked on the front door, waiting for a response before I heard a voice call out, "Come in!"

I shrugged, pushing open the door and heading to the garage before nearly colliding with Abraham.

"Oh my god-" I said, startled and not expecting to see him here.

He chuckled, "Well, one of us should really look where we're going."

"You're probably right!" I laughed.

"I'm actually glad you're here, Liz," he said as he walked back into the garage, directing me to follow him, "Rosita!" He called out, confusing me and causing me to stop dead in my tracks, "This is who you're gonna be training today."

I watched as she walked out of the armory, a rifle in hand, "You're kidding me, right?"

Abraham chuckled, "I just figured it's about time you two get to becoming buddies."

"Oh yeah, no better way of becoming buddies than with bullets." I joked, just as thrilled as Rosita was at what Abraham did.

She scoffed, rolling her eyes before walking back into the armory.

"Couldn't you have gotten anyone else?" I whispered, "You know she can't stand me."

He shook his head, "You two just butted heads; I know you'll get along just fine."

"Liz," Oliva smiled as she walked out, "What can I do for you?"

"Um," I paused, trying to remember why I was here in the first place, "Oh-- I wanted to see if I could pick up some food to have around the house, you know, so I don't have to live off of everyone else."

She nodded, "Of course, I can drop off a box later today since you're probably going to be outside the walls, right?"

"Yeah, that works-"

"If we're gonna do this, then let's get it over with." Rosita said, cutting me off, as she walked out of the armory, putting multiple different guns into a bag she had slung over her shoulder.

I sighed, glancing up at Abraham before following behind Rosita.

***

"Do you know anything about guns?" She asked as we walked through the woods.

"No, I never had to use one until all of this started." I shrugged, "How much farther out are we going?"

"Far enough."

I sighed at her short answer, "So what's your deal with me?"

"My deal?" She stopped in her tracks turning to face me, "My deal is that we just picked your stray ass up off the street after your entire group mysteriously disappeared and now we're all expected to treat you like you belong here-- that's my deal."

I paused for a moment, caught off guard by her outburst, "I had nowhere else to go, you know that-"

"But maybe you did," she cut me off, "Maybe you do have somewhere else to go and you're just using us."