Afterword and Acknowledgments

I read somewhere that an afterword is supposed to be about how the book came into being. I'm not entirely sure how that happened exactly. All I know is that was simply an idea, something that was playing on repeat from when I woke up in the morning to when I went to sleep at night. It wasn't a dream and I didn't just look at a pen or something and shout "I've got an idea!"

It was kind of a gradual thing. I didn't have any names for any of the characters. I didn't really want to explore anything or make a statement. It was just meant to about a girl who couldn't remember, and I wondered how someone could live without knowing their past. They had to be incredibly strong, but there also had to be something special other than their exterior strength. There had to be other sides to them, where they got overly emotional or not emotional enough; where they burst into tears or completely clammed up; where they were so scared it hurt inside or they cared for someone so much that they'd be willing to take risks for them.

The research came after that. It wasn't what I was expecting but it was interesting, which is what made the story easier to write. I was learning things even as I was creating and that was so incredibly powerful. I became completely captivated by that and so much more as I wrote; that was what made me realise that the story had to have at least some philosophical type stuff in it, so that was added.

Along the way, I talked to so many beautiful people. Their thought processes were similar, yet different to mine and they continued to inspire me. I suppose this is the bit where all the acknowledgments come in, so here goes nothing.

I'd really like to thank Avriale (HerDemons), who talked so much about NaNoWriMo that I went and checked it out. She talked to me constantly on there and was (and still is) one of the most encouraging people I've ever met. I got through over 50,000 words in the month of November thanks to her, along with people I'll mention below, and I'm incredibly grateful for that.

I'd also like to thank Sanjeet (DanaScully), Jude (rigor_samsa) and Taylor (donut_), who were really supportive. In November, they dropped a number of messages on my board. Apart from that, they voted and commented on so many chapters that it's just amazing. I honestly believe that I would have got nowhere near this far, if they hadn't offered that support, so thank you.

Next comes Kat (RumpledOver), who - even with all of her exams - read 'Sincerely, Red' and supported it. She's an absolutely lovely person and an even more amazing writer. During the course of creating this story, I read 'Wool' so many times over that I've lost count. It acted as a sense of inspiration, when I thought I couldn't write anymore. Thank you, Kat.

I'd also really like to thank two incredible readers: Alicia (Craftyreader) and Lily (campfire_marshmallow). Alicia's comments have always been incredibly funny and I feel like I know her already, even though I've only talked to her a couple of times. She's also awesome because it wasn't awkward when I stupidly said we should make a David, because that doesn't sound wrong at all. Obviously. Lily, too, has been really supportive. She always has the most adorable profile pictures and her comments have been making me smile, throughout the time I've spent writing this book.

This is turning into a really long list, but I'd also like to thank Caroline (appetence). She's just such a beautiful person, the type that makes everyone else she's around happy. Once I had a conversation with her where we talked briefly about inspirations, and I'd like for her to know that she has been an inspiration. I've tried to put some of her helpful attitude into the character of Liv. Even though it kind of changed a little bit, it's still sort of there.

And finally, I want every single reader to know that I appreciate them. Thank you to everyone who voted, commented and added this story to your reading list. Thank you to the silent readers. Thank you to those of you who offered constructive criticism. You've been amazing and I'm so happy that I got to spend this journey with you

There's not much else to say. I just want you to know that I'm hoping to edit this book soon. It still needs a lot of development. A lot of the earlier chapters are full of so much dialogue and not enough description. I know that it makes it harder to understand what's going on. I'm really hoping to fix that soon, as well as a few plot holes. It's nothing drastic and it won't change the characters or the overall plot in any way.

I have nothing else to add. Thank you, again, for everything you've done. It's just been wonderful.

Also (okay, so maybe I don't not have anything to say) if you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them. Just post them below.