Prongs, It Was a Mistake

Lily was in the waiting room at St. Mungo's when Sirius, Remus, and Ned Veigler arrived. She heard Sirius before she saw them - he'd walked through the floo and immediately descended upon the reception witch. "WHAT DO YOU MEAN FAMILY ONLY?!? I AM FAMILY, YOU STUPID TWATWAFFLE!! I NEED MY PRONGS..."

Lily jumped up from her seat and ran out to the reception room to see Sirius Black was leaning over the reception desk, Remus trying to pull him back as Ned Veigler attempted to talk to the reception witch with actual clarity and details. "Padfoot," Remus said when he saw Lily coming. He elbowed Sirius to call his attention to her and Sirius instantly turned from the reception witch, going over to Lily swiftly.

"Evans!" he shouted, "Evans!"

They hugged each other quickly as Remus meandered his way over, freeing Ned Veigler to actually get answers from the reception witch without Sirius shouting like a madman. Lily sniffled as she pulled away. "Oh Sirius," she whimpered, "We have to talk."

Sirius glanced over his shoulder at Veigler, still arguing with the reception witch, "It's my fault," he said under his breath. "I should never have sent that bit of parchment."

"I didn't destroy it like you told me to," Lily whispered. "It's my fault. I had it in my pocket and it fell out. I tried to find it, but I couldn't find it anywhere... and... I meant to tell him, I did. I was going to. But then when I got there, he had... omelettes and... and then we kissed and --"

"You kissed?!" Sirius exclaimed.

Remus cleared his throat, "Kind of not exactly the point right now, Padfoot."

Sirius nodded, "Right. Yes. Well. Somebody must've found the fucking parchment." He ran his hand over his hair, scowling. "Is he pissed at us?"

"I didn't tell him," Lily confessed. "I didn't know how."

"You guys are overthinking this. James is going to understand it was a mistake," Remus said.

Sirius scowled.

Lily said, "I feel so bloody terrible." She sighed, eyes downcast. "He didn't deserve this."

"None of the people Voldemort goes after deserves it," Sirius said with an edge to his voice. "That fucker's gotta go."

Lily hugged herself, her green eyes sad and blinking, turned up toward the ceiling.

Sirius eyed her a moment. He could clearly see her worry, clearly see her upset. "Look, Evans, we'll... we'll tell him it was me."

She shook her head, "He needs to know the truth."

"It is the truth," Sirius said.

"The whole truth," Lily said firmly.

Sirius sighed.

Ned Veigler came over, putting his arms about the three of them as he clustered them together and said, "I got the okay for Sirius to go up, but the rest of us have to wait here. I really had to fight for that much - it's family only in his ward."

Sirius turned to go for the stairs and Lily caught his elbow. "I want to talk to him, Sirius," she pleaded. "I want to tell him. You'll bring him down, yeah? We'll tell him together?"

He nodded, "Yeah. Of course."

Lily looked anxious. "Sooner rather than later?"

"Yeah, I'll go fetch him."

Lily nodded.

Sirius turned to Remus and Remus squeezed his hand... and Sirius ducked off into the corridor toward the stairs, glancing over his shoulder at the three of them. Lily turned to Remus and he hugged her as they watched Sirius go and he paused at the door of the stairs and took a deep breath, then stepped through.