Prologue

| Four Years Before Everything |

Humming quietly to myself, I looked around the precinct. Why did they all look the same? L.A.P.D seriously needed to hire a new decorator. Think of all the opportunities they had missed; They could've thrown up some motivational words on the walls, like 'you do the crime, we make sure you do the time.' What a major opportunity missed, honestly.

Looking to my side, I found a slightly older woman sitting in a chair by the next desk over, cuffed to her seat like me. She wore fishnet stockings and had what I was pretty sure was a weave in her hair. The pink top she wore and the short skirt both looked three sizes too small, but she didn't seem to care. What she did care about, however, was my incessant staring. She flipped her eyes to mine and cocked a brow. "See something ya' like, kiddo?"

"Are you a prostitute?" I asked.

Instead of replying to me, she just smirked slowly. She puckered her lips a little, then licked them with a dirty wink.

Okay. Definitely a prostitute.

Snickering to myself, I turned my head away from her and begun to awkwardly scratch my nose against my shoulder when I felt an itch. I was interrupted mid-rub when a police officer finally smacked his ass down in the seat by my chair, throwing down a clipboard on the desk in front of him.

"G'n'evening," I offered, giving him a big grin. He returned it with a flat stare and then shifted his eyes to the clipboard, picking up a pen.

"Has anyone read you your rights yet?"

"Yup. Read and subscribed."

"So you've called a parent or an attorney to come fend for you?"

"Nope."

The cop whose name badge said 'CLIFFTON' lifted his eyes to me and rose a bored brow. "You didn't use your phonecall?"

"No-no, I used it, I just don't need a parent or a lawyer."

"If you didn't call anyone to come fight your case, then who'd you call?"

I opened my mouth to answer, but in that moment a voice by the doors to the precinct called into the station.

"PIZZA FOR CALEB?"

"Over here!" I shouted back and then edged my hands out of the cuffs I had picked a while ago. I raised a hand to signal the delivery guy who instantly spotted me and headed my way.

"What the..." The police officer blinked in confusion, but then immediately stood up and grabbed the cuffs from my hand. "How the hell did you get out of these?"

I sent him a flat look over my shoulder as the pizza guy stopped up in front of me. "YouTube, dude. You can learn anything online."

Officer Cliffton glared at me in disbelief while I paid the delivery guy with a bill I had kept stuffed into my sock. After telling him to keep the change, I took the steaming pizza and hungrily sniffed it through the lid. I was so damn hungry I was ready to become vegan if vegan food was all that was left.

The next second, though, my very un-vegan pizza got torn out of my hands. Officer Cliffton threw it down on his desk as far away from me as possible and grabbed my wrists and expertly cuffed me to the chair again. He then slammed his ass back into his chair and glared. I glared right back.