Chapter Thirty Two.

Dakota Aniston

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Well, I don’t feel like doing this.

All I want to really do is curl up in my bed and sleep this night away. Not only because this party is going to be filled with people from school, but Elijah is taking Stacey. I know I’m the one who practically handed her over to him, but I didn’t really expect him to say yes. If he felt remotely anything toward me, he would have said no, right?

If it was up to me, I’d be home tonight. Elijah helped me get the night off from the club, and I really wish I could stay home and just be by myself, but I know I can’t. Stacey forced me to go, and plus people are expecting me. Dakota Aniston, best friend of Stacey Dugan and co-captain can’t miss the party of the year.

So, after my early shift at the club, I came home and took a long nap. Then, after that I spent about an hour in the shower, washing my hair and shaving my legs then lathering them. Then, it took another two hours to straighten out my hair, and apply my makeup. I have simple eye-shadow, dark eyeliner and red lips.

Now, I’m in the dress Stacey talked me into buying, paired off with black open-toed stilettos. I feel uncomfortable, but it’s now ten o’clock, which leaves me no time to get changed, because I was supposed to meet up with Stacey a half hour ago.

Spritzing myself with my perfume, I then grab my car keys and make my way downstairs. My mom is at the table working on her laptop. She looks up at the sound of my heels on the tiled floor. “Going out?”

“Yes. Unless you want me to stay home.” Cross my fingers.

“No, no, go.” She grins at me, her green eyes bright behind her glasses. “You look great.”

I don’t feel great. I give her an awkward smile back, tugging on the end of my dress, but the motion was futile, for it popped right back up. “Thanks. I’ll see you later. Love you.” I call out, before sliding outside and into my car.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

It was ten fifteen by the time I finally arrived at the party. The music was so loud; I could practically feel it vibrating inside my chest. The whole house was packed, people everywhere. They were in the front yard, the back yard, in the pool, inside, upstairs, the basement. Cups and bottles were already littered everywhere, and as I tried to move inside the house, I had to shove my way through horny, drunk teenagers.

The whole house smells of stale alcohol and sweat. I swat at the hands that grab me, and I make small conversation with people from school I haven’t seen in a while.

“Dakota, over here!” Glancing over my shoulder, I see a couple of girls from the cheerleading squad. I stop in my tracks, and watch as they make their way over toward me.

The first one to greet me is Macy. Her hands wrap around my wrist and she pulls me closer, her ruby curls bouncing like silk around her heart shaped face. “Where have you been all summer?” She shouts to me over the music.

Before I had time to answer, Carmen, purses her lips at me. “She’s been working. In a club. Isn’t that true, Dakota?” Carmen is a bitch. It’s as simple as that. She’s always out to tear someone else down. She thinks she’s better than everyone, and has had it out for me ever since I won the spot of co-captain on the team.

I clear my throat, glancing away from the three girls’ intense stare. Well, this wasn’t how I wanted to start my night. “Yeah, that’s right.” I turn my gaze onto Carmen, looking my eyes right against her hazel ones.

“Anyway.” Bambi, small, blonde cuts through. She’s always been known as the sweet, quiet one. “Has anyone seen Stacey’s date?”

At this my ears perk up. I shuffle closer to the three, creating a semi-circle. “Is she here?”