Chapter 55

Two weeks later, Luke was at the diner, taking orders and attending to the usual everyday tasks of running a business. The bell over the door chimed, causing Luke to glance up. Rory waved as she and Logan moved toward to the counter.

"Hey Rory, Logan. Want to order anything?"

Rory shook her head. "No, I was hoping you knew where Mom was. I texted and called her but she hasn't answered. I tried calling the Dragonfly but Michel said she wasn't in today."

"She is probably napping at home. We went to see an obstetrician this morning so she didn't sleep well last night due to nerves and excitement." Luke noticed the customer seated beside Logan had emptied his coffee cup so he moved to refill it.

"What did the doctor say? Everything all right?" Logan asked.

"Yes, everything is good. The doctor considers the pregnancy high risk since she is close to fifty but we expected that. Right now, all that appears to mean is that she will have an appointment every two weeks until she is around seven months along then it will increase to once a week."

"But everything is normal, okay?" Rory just wanted to make sure.

Luke smiled, understanding why Rory was asking. "Yes, everything is okay."

"Good. Due date?"

"August 19, 2017. Can't get here soon enough."

Rory grinned. "I understand that feeling. I have something for Mom which is why I've been trying to find her."

Luke checked the time. "Head on over to the house. Lorelai needs to be getting up if she isn't already."

Nodding and bidding Luke goodbye, the couple headed to find Lorelai. Upon their arrival, Logan grabbed the enlarged canvas print, which was wrapped, from the back and began walking toward the front door. Rory knocked on the door before pushing it open and calling out for her mother.

They moved to the living room, searching for evidence of Lorelai. Noises upstairs alerted them to where she was. Anticipating that she would be making her way downstairs, Rory had Logan to put the canvas behind the couch so she didn't see the present right away.

Pulling a zip up sweatshirt over a t-shirt as she descended the stairs, Lorelai moved to the lower level of the house. She rubbed her eyes, clearly trying to become fully alert. Once she got to the bottom step, she stopped, focusing on Rory and Logan.

"Hey," was all she said.

"Hi Mom. Luke said you went to the doctor this morning and it went well."

"Yeah, it did. Eases my mind. She said there was nothing to indicate anything would be amiss with the pregnancy. I do have increased visits though but it will be worth it in the long run."

"It certainly will be." Logan was trying very hard to be vocally supportive, which was appreciated by Rory, Lorelai, and Luke. "If you need anything at all, please let Rory or me know."

Lorelai smiled. "Thanks Logan. That's awfully kind of you."

"I meant to ask Luke while we were there— how is the apartment's remodel going?"

"Now that the spa is complete, Tom is scheduled to begin demoing everything so that Mom can come see the space with nothing in it. The architect that we used for the work on the house is drawing up a basic blueprint of the main walls and will meet with us and Mom when she comes into town next week to configure a new layout. We're hoping that we can get moving fairly quickly so that she can get settled in here to be around during our pregnancies."

Rory couldn't wait any longer. "Well, sort of on that same topic, I have something for you." Logan reached for the canvas, gingerly handing it to Lorelai.

Puzzled, Lorelai moved to the couch and sat down. She removed the wrapping paper. Once she realized what she was looking at, tears filled her eyes. "Oh Rory, it's beautiful."

"I saw the rare opportunity to capture that quiet moment after you learned you were pregnant. I'm sure it's a moment you will forever remember but the emotion on your face says it all."

Logan, still standing behind the couch, leaned forward. "It truly is a beautiful photo."

Lorelai smiled through the tears. "Thank you for this. It will definitely go on a wall in the baby's room." She leaned over and embraced Rory, honored to have raised such a remarkable daughter.

*****

Michel was alone in the Dragonfly Spa. It was complete. The last wall was painted, the last piece of décor hung. The atmosphere he had hoped to create was felt throughout. He was excited.

As his feet propelled him forward, Michel slowly walked into every room. He observed all the touches he had asked for— arched doorways, solid wood white doors, frosted windows. Pale colors in the room promoted comfort and relaxation. Lights that dimmed with the flip of a switch.

Everything was in place. Everything was done.

His dream was now a reality.

And he had Lorelai to thank for it.