Manipulation

Santiago's POV:

She was almost unrecognizable.

Her dark chocolate locks were fading into a cool-tone brown, and her rosy cheeks were now hollow. I felt as if I was staring into the eyes of a corpse.

I felt a sinking feeling in my stomach, wanting to move but feeling so stiff.

Everything slowed down, and a burning flame lit within me.

Danica was crouched in the corner, trembling in fear, starvation, and the lack of warmth in the cell.

I found the key to the cell dangling on the stone wall beside the stairs. I unlocked the rusty door and walked slowly up to Danica.

Her lips quivered and she scrambled away from me, frightened.

The bed she was beside, was soaked in blood. Including her surroundings, the walls had droplets of blood, and so did the floor.

It was a sickening view.

I hushed her, nodding once, "It's me, Santiago. I won't hurt you. You're safe now."

I gently picked her thin body up, she winced at contact.

Carrying her up the stairs, Danica's small head rested on my chest as she began to muffle cries.

I placed a warm kiss on her head and whispered, "Don't worry, Danica. No one will hurt you anymore."

I turned the corner at the peak of the stairs and reached the destructed living room. Ruckus came from the kitchen.

Hearing grunts of both Marcello and Eric, made me quickly realize they were fighting.

Things went flying everywhere. Glasses and pots were crashing and falling.

I lied Danica on the sofa and stormed in the kitchen. Marcello had been bleeding from his nose and cheek, Eric had a busted lip along with blood and saliva dripping down his mouth.

Marcello was pinned against the tabletop, Eric strapped both hands around his neck and constricted it.

Eric gnashed his teeth together and continued to stare at his devilish brother.

"Eric! I found Danica, she's right there." I gestured to the living room.

Eric paused, then sent a brutal punch to Marcello, knocking him down.

Eric rushed to the other room, but hardened at the sight of her. His face was blank, but he swallowed hard.

Marcello strugglingly pulled out a pistol from his pocket, targeting Eric. But Eric was too busy staring at his dying fiancé to notice.

Without hesitation, Marcello grumbled as he pulled the trigger, launching a bullet straight into Eric.

It all happened so fast, and before I could warn Eric, I watched it strike him.

Eric POV:

I was shot, but didn't feel a thing.

I didn't even know I was, until Santiago pointed it out.

What hurt a lot more was the scarring image of Danica, that was burning in my brain.

The bullet hit my thigh and penetrated most of the way through. Half an inch in any direction, and I knew I could've potentially been killed instantly.

I felt numb. No pain at all, just raw shock, rolling back and the thoughts tumbling, the reality dawning.

That only lasted for a few seconds, though with the slow motion effect, it seems a lot longer.