f o u r t y - f i v e

"IT WAS MARY, WASN'T IT?" I asked, confirming it with him. He nodded. "Do you know how she did it."

"We need to do a Blood Exchange."

"Wait..." I stared at Blayze. Was it really that simple? "What do you mean by that?"

"I know what you think," he said. "But it's not that simple... Michael was the one who turned Lucian into a Werewolf."

"Really?" I stood up from beside him, but kept my eyes fixed on him.

"Lucian told me about it a long time ago," he responded. "I think the Gray Wolf must have the same blood as the one who originally turned the Brown Wolf. Once the blood is exchanged, they're cured and they'll be at full strength... Or maybe even more."

"This is war."

We both remained silent for several minutes.

"It gets worse, Weslyn," he paused. "We're not like you; we can only shift on full moons and that's when we're at full power. The next full moon is tomorrow night and it's probably when they'll attack us."

This was a disaster; an absolute disaster. Everything seemed to make sense, which only made it worse.

However one thing didn't fit.

"But, I thought that Brown Wolves couldn't control their Wolf form because of how unnatural it was."

"We can't," he agreed. "But control isn't necessary when it comes to war. All you need, is to be able to follow intructions. And we can do that at any moment."

"This is serious," I realised. "We need to tell the pack and prepare to fight. And I have to... I have to talk to him."

"To William?" Blayze asked, looking up at me.

"Yeah."

I didn't know who else I could talk to. Ever since I arrived in Gray Valley, Liam was there for me; the only one I could talk to without trying. Even after all the things he had said and after he hurt me, he was the only one I wanted to talk to.

"Liam?"

There was no response. Of course there wasn't.

We weren't just Werewolves. We were Gray Wolves. Ever since we were born, all of our emotions, including  anger and pain would forever empower us.

Liam wasn't any different.

"Liam, please, it's important. I need to talk to you." Although he stayed silent, I could sense his presence perfectly. He could hear me; he was just hesitant.

"I really need to talk to you, Liam," I repeated. "It's something that-"

"How about after the Brown Wolf has left?"

"I'm really sorry, but Blayze has to stay."

"Then our talk can wait."

I gritted my teeth in frustration, as I felt my mark burn. What had I done wrong? Maybe having two mates was wrong, but was that really my fault. Didn't he understand, that it wasn't my choice to make.

"It's not about us," I told him. "It's about the Pack."

"And I should care... Why?"  Hearing him call me that, was like being repeatedly cut in the exact same place.  I took a deep breath to compose myself.

"You're the Beta, Liam," I replied. "It's your job to support the Alpha, no matter what you're going through."

He fell silent, again. He didn't answer for so long; if I didn't know him better, I would have thought that he was ignoring me.

"I'm not at the Pack House, right now." I was just about to ask him where he was, when I realised how it would sound if I did.

"That's fine. I need to get the others together, anyway."

"Whereabouts do I come?"

"The hall." I sighed, shifting my attention back to Blayze. He gave me a confused look in return.

"What's wrong?"

I could only say one word in reply.

"Everything."