Chapter 56

February came quickly, as a busy life made January seemed to fly by. Logan, for one, was excited to see the second month of the year arrive. As long as the baby cooperated, today they would learn whether they were having a son or a daughter. Rory was excited too, not only to finally know whether her instinct was right, but to also be able to get the nursery ready.

As had become commonplace, Rory planned a small gender reveal party. The doctor would write the baby's gender on an envelope and give it to Logan and Rory as they were leaving. On the way home, Rory had planned to drop the envelope off at Weston's Bakery, who would be making a cake correlating to the baby's gender.

Sookie had offered to cater a nice dinner for those who were invited. So far, the guest list included Emily, Luke and Lorelai, Zack and Lane, Sookie and Jackson, Paris, and Josh and Honor. Mitchum and Shira were also invited but neither would be attending. Mitchum was in London and Shira refused to acknowledge Logan and Rory's relationship or their child.

Waiting patiently, Logan paced downstairs. It was only nine in the morning but he and Rory had an appointment in an hour. They planned to leave in half an hour but it seemed as if time was crawling, especially since they wouldn't find out before anyone else what they were having.

Rory made her way downstairs, looking beautiful. She paired a new top in a light yellow with a pair of maternity jeans. They had to do some shopping last week because Rory's belly was becoming more and more prominent. Logan loved it— he loved seeing the evidence of his child growing within the woman he loves.

"I know it's early, but are you ready to head out?"

Logan was reaching for his jacket before Rory finished her question. "Absolutely, Ace. Let's go see what's in there!"

*****

Pulling into a parking space, Rory heaved a sigh. The drive here felt like it took forever. She knew they'd likely be waiting a while until they were called back but she needed to be here, needed to be ready as soon as they'd take her.

She felt like she already knew what the gender of the baby is. She just needed confirmation before pushing on with her plans.

Walking hand in hand with Logan toward the entrance, she glanced at him. In the last three months, their relationship had evolved into one of love, passion, and comfort. They hadn't yet decided on a wedding date yet, though Rory had one in mind: Christmas Eve.

Opening the door, Logan paused while Rory made her way through. She checked in at the front desk and tried to pretend not to see the knowing smile of the receptionist as she said her appointment wasn't for another half hour. She only nodded as she was told the doctor would be with her soon.

Logan led her to a couple of empty chairs. Rory sat down, turning to see what magazine selection the table held. She chose one and began flipping through it. After a couple minutes, she closed and dropped it back where she found it, exasperated for being unable to concentrate.

Logan chuckled. "Excited?"

"Very. I feel like this morning has dragged by."

"I agree. I'm ready to know if we are having a son or a daughter."

"Are you still good with the names we decided on?"

Smiling, Logan nodded his assent. "I am. They're perfect."

"Yes, they are."

At that moment, Rory felt movement within her. She thought she detected small flutters in the weeks before but what she just felt was definitely the baby.

Turning toward Logan, she reached for his hand and placed it on her stomach. No words were needed because Logan seemed to understand she had felt something and wanted him to experience it too. A few moments passed with nothing else but, as he was fixing to remove his hand, the baby flipped again. Logan's eyes lit up as they met Rory's. The expressions on either face were priceless, as they contained utter joy over what they had just shared.

"Rory Gilmore?"

Neither had realized a nurse had appeared at the door. Excited to be so close to learning more about the baby, Logan and Rory quickly moved to the door.

The doctor wasn't far behind. The checkup went well; everything was progressing as it should be. The ultrasound began with measurements being taken. Logan and Rory were able to see their baby again. Several screens were frozen and printed, though no indication was given as to what they were looking at.

A smile stretched across the doctor's face. She faced the expectant parents. "Do you still want me to write down the gender for you to take with you?"

Rory sat up on her elbows. "So, you know? You know what the baby is?"

"I do."

"And you could just, like, tell us right now."

"If that's what you both want, yes, I could."

Rory looked at Logan. "What do you—"

Logan held up a hand. "As much as I would love to know right now...."

Rory pouted. "You're right. We have the gender reveal party this evening."

The doctor laughed. "You're not the first couple who planned a reveal party, then had second thoughts when faced with waiting to find out the gender. I'll go grab an envelope and you both will be on your way."

Fifteen minutes later, Logan and Rory were back in Logan's SUV. Rory held in her hand the gender of their baby.

The rest of the day had better fly by, Rory thought.