Entry 10) A Husband's Demand

"Young And Beautiful" by Lana Del Rey
*************************

Did I want to see Loki?

A strong part of me strangely did. I wasn't sure what I felt for him romantically. Part of me still felt a desperate longing to see him, but now a stronger part of me urged caution. Judging by the triplets' expressions, they wholeheartedly believed their father had killed me. There was no doubt about that. Even I had to recall how Loki had mockingly asked how it felt when a sharp knife pierced my skin... Still, it all seemed surreal. I knew he was the antagonist, but learning that he was the one who supposedly ended my life was heartbreaking.

After witnessing Jormungand's memory of Loki setting my body on fire, I couldn't really defend Loki to say this wasn't true. Still, the idea of him purposefully ending my life sounded twisted and wrong. I couldn't find it in me to believe he did it intentionally. The worst part of being in Loki's frost giant kingdom was not knowing what had happened on the day I died. I was still struggling to process what was real and what was not, and that event seemed to be the game-changer. Perhaps that was the moment Loki transformed into the monster Artemis and the other Olympians had painted him to be.

The triplets were of no help in answering my questions. Hela seemed wary of me, while Fenrir used anger to handle his emotions regarding my reincarnation. Jormungand, on the other hand, seemed to wholeheartedly accept that I was his mother, not even seeming to care that he was well over a thousand years older than I was. He believed and accepted these events without much trouble. Even so, he didn't seem keen on letting me in on why Loki murdered me over a thousand years ago.

"I want to see Loki," I repeated for what felt like the fifteenth time. But my request was met with denial. Jormungand didn't bother to glance up from his dusty book. Previously, he would look at me as if he found me an interesting subject, but after my constant complaints and demands, he had become absorbed in his reading and paid me little attention. As a loud clanging noise resounded through the room, I didn't even flinch as a goblet flew across the room and crashed into the blazing fire.

"ENOUGH OF YOUR WHINING!" Fenrir finally howled, sending me a cross look as he bared his teeth, a low growl escaping his throat. He was trying to intimidate me.
I didn't bat an eyelash. "You don't scare me."
He glowered. "Then you are a great fool of a reincarnation not to fear the legendary Fenrir the Great!"

"If you have to refer to yourself as 'Fenrir The Great,' no one expects much greatness from you," Jormungand sniffed, finally paying attention to the conversation. He licked his finger gently before turning the page of his book, not bothering to glance up as he spoke. "Greatness comes from those who are not expected to be handed it."

"Get bent you skinny piece of dung."

"Careful, Fenrir. We do not want another exchange of vile words," Jormungand replied in a lazy voice. "You and I know fully well I am capable of running circles around your furry ass verbally." As a horrible snarling noise issued from Fenrir, I jumped to find his facial features partially resembled a wolf. Soon enough, a menacing sounding hiss escaped from the back of Jormungand's throat, a sound much more frightening than Fenrir's snarl. "And physically," Jormungand continued dryly, shooting his brother a cold look. "Do not engage me in a fight you cannot possibly win, little brother."

"You are a blasted fool to think father does not wish for her head on a platter," Fenrir shot back before shooting me yet another foul stink eye.

"You don't want me dead either or you would have killed me by now," I replied coldly.

Fenrir spared me a smirk. "My my, growing confidence the more time you spend with Jotuns, aye, love?"

"You shall refer to her with the respect as her natural name or her name we referred to her as children, Fenrir. She is not a pet, do not name her as one." Jormungand shot his brother another cold look as if silently daring him to push the issue. Fenrir didn't.
Instead, he cackled with cool laughter. "As you wish, brother." Looking back at me, he smirked. "I am surprised by your confidence, mother dearest. You have come across as such a weakling in previous meetings."

"I'm surprised by you, too." I nodded seriously. "I don't remember you being such a jackass. That quality you no doubt inherited from your father." This cold response caused the shape shifter to snarl at me before another frightening hiss from his brother calmed him.
"Leave us be, brother," Jormungand said without looking up from his engaging book. "I shall keep watch to make sure no Olympians manage to claim her. Although, I doubt any will try attempting to break into the palace of the king of frost giants. The only one stupid enough to try such a thing was Jack Frost."