Chapter Three

ONCE AGAIN I DO NOT OWN ANYTHING EXCEPT FOR KAT. JKR OWNS THEM!!

~MACUSA~
The elevator descends rapidly through the long elevator shaft.

The doors open onto a cramped, airless, area. Tina lead Newt past a hundred typewriters clacking away with a tangle of glass pipes hanging down from the ceiling above them.

As each memo or form was completed by a typewriter, it folded itself into an origami rat, which scurried up the tube in which Newt assumed led to where their destination was. Newt watched as two rats collided and began to fight, tearing each other apart.

Tina walked toward a dank, musty corner of the room. Newt followed reluctantly. He hoped he could get out of this quickly...

The Wand Permit Office was only slightly larger than a cupboard, making Newt fidget uncomfortably. There were piles of unopened wand applications that Tina evidently had to approve.

Tina stopped behind a desk, removing her coat and hat. She tried to regain her lost status in front of Newt by appearing busy, trying to straighten out a pile of paper. Newt immediately felt bad for her.

"So, you got your wand permit? All foreigners have to have them in New York." Tina said and immediately, Newt's sympathy disappeared.

"I made a postal application weeks ago." Newt lied. He scratched his neck awkwardly. Little did she know this was an impromptu trip.

Tina began scribbling things down. "Scamander..." Newt felt a tremor of nerves go down his back. What had he done wrong? "And you were just in Equatorial Guinea?"

Newt felt relieved that he could answer the question truthfully. "I've just completed a year in the field. I'm writing a book about magical creatures."

Tina looked up. "Like-an extermination guide?"

Newt shook his head quickly. Sadly, he knew this was the view of most witches and wizards.

"No. A guide to help people understand why we should be protecting these creatures instead of killing them."

Tina opened her mouth to speak but was interrupted.

"GOLDSTEIN! WHERE IS SHE? Where is she? Goldstein!"

Tina quickly ducked under her desk. Newt raised an eyebrow as another man stormed in. The stocky man's eyes immediately zoomed in on Tina's overflowed desk.

"Goldstein!" Tina emerged, looking guilty. "Did you just butt in on the Investigation Team again?" Tina opened her mouth but the man cut her off. "Where've you been?"

Tina looked awkward. "What...?"

The man turns to Newt.

"Where'd she pick you up?"

"Me?" Newt said, stalling slightly. He met Tina's eyes. Tina had this strange pleading look on her face. He bit his lip and let his words drift off into silence.

Clearly the man was getting agitated without getting answers. "Have you been tracking them Second Salemers again?" He demanded.

Tina shakes her head too quickly to be plausible. "Of course not, sir." 

Suddenly from behind Newt came another man. The one who had been angry a moment before looked completely awed in the presence of this higher ranking man.

"Afternoon, Mr. Graves." He said humbly, bowing slightly.

This Mr. Graves responded. "Afternoon, ah - Abernathy."

Tina stepped forward to prove her case. "Mr. Graves, sir, this is Mr. Scamander—he has a crazy creature in that case and it got out and caused mayhem in a bank, sir."

It wasn't my fault. It was the bloody Niffler, Newt thought sourly. He crossed his arms in annoyance.

Mr. Graves looked apprehensive. "Let's see the little guy." Newt's breath quickened a tad bit. Not his creatures.

Tina breathes a sigh of relief, evidently glad that someone was listening to her. Newt began to panic. My creatures can't be found! Tina opened the case and gave a gasp. Newt turned pale. Had they found it? He peered over Mr. Graves' shoulder. It was full of pastries! How could this be?! Where was Kat, and his creatures?

Mr. Graves shook his head, disappointed. "Tina..."

He left, leaving Newt to stare in horror at the case.