27

Our victory against Heights High School was a success. We actually beat the school we were always tied with. The girls got off the bus cheering away. It was a tough game, so we were all tired out. My brother promised to pick me up, but of course he wasn't here. I sit down with Monique, waiting for her parents and hoped my brother didn't actually forget about me.

The parking lot was nearly empty and one car caught my attention. It was strangely familiar, but I couldn't tell in the dark. It wasn't Harry's nor coach Payne's. I stand up and my eyes widen when a dark figure emerges from the car. The tall figure stumbles out then waves. He gets closer and I tug on Monique's arm. Harry and Coach Payne went inside to get something real quick, so she was all I had.

"Is that-" Monique is cut off by the slurred voice.

"Rylee, Rylee baby." he calls for me.

"Get away!" Monique demands, pushing me behind her.

"You-" he points his finger in her face. "You get out of the way, bitch. You have always gotten in the way of us."

"What do you want?" I ask, pushing myself forward. "Why can't you just leave me alone? We're don-"

"Rylee!" he raises his voice. "Please, I love you."

"No you don't." Monique speaks for me. "You didn't show any love toward her while you were together, you asshole."

"I said to fucking ge-" he lunges at her, but I jump in front of her.

I fall back with him on top of me. I try pushing him off, but he was heavy. Monique was yelling at him while he kept a strong hold on me. Suddenly, his weight was taken off of me and he was thrown aside. Harry throws his arms around me as coach Payne held him back. Coach Payne starts yelling at him, but stops. Harry steps forward, letting Monique hold me.

"Zayn?" Harry frowns.

"Harry, Liam!" Zayn says loudly. "What are you guys doing here?"

"What the hell, Zayn?" Coach Payne shoves him away. "Why are you here attacking our volleyball players?"

"Hey, I wasn't attacking no one's players." Zayn puts his hands up. "I just wanted to talk, babygirl." he looks past the two.

Both Harry and coach Payne twist around to look at me. I hide my face in embarrassment and Monique pulls me in closer. Zayn tries moving closer again, but Harry pushes him back.

"You're drunk." Harry states.

"No shit, Einstein." Zayn laughs out. "Rylee please, let's talk. I love you, I want to talk."

"Zayn," I croak out. "Just leave."

We hear honking and Monique's mom drives up. She grabs her stuff and mine, throwing it in the back seat.

"We'll just leave," Monique says, leading me to the car. "My mom will drive you home."

"Rylee no!" Zayn shouts. "Stop babygirl, please talk to me!"

He continues to scream when the door is shut. We disappear from the scene and I didn't know how to react. I didn't cry or speak angrily about it. I just kept quiet, ignoring her mom's questions. It's almost been two years since I've last seen him.

-

It was midnight and I was sitting in my room alone. There was a knock at the front door which I didn't answer because I was already scared enough. The knocking becomes louder along with that voice I hoped to never hear again. I pull my knee close to my chest, but the noise never stopped. Presley just kept barking away and it was a lot of noise. I know he won't stop until I give in, so I make my way downstairs. By that time, he had actually stopped. I peek through the little window next to my door. Zayn was sitting on my porch, slouched over his knees.