Chapter 10

Saturday came faster as Nara didn't stop practicing for the duet number. Her partner was a younger girl that had been praised by the teachers in the academy. Some said she also played cello. The practice with her was always been merry since a small crowd of people came to watch them.

It was obviously thrilling for Nara, and also depressing. It was not because she was slightly worse than Jinah, the girl, but more likely because of she didn't get used to people came cheering her. Boram would always come if she wasn't busy with her violin practice, or just probably on her way home. Nara learned not to depend on people cheering for her so much. She knew her own limits and wanted to keep it the way it should be.

As she opened her eyes, she had a hunch that Nayeon had left to her studio. But she could smell breakfast in the air. She got up and brushed her teeth.

After tying her hair up, she saw the breakfast. A set of tofu soup, omurice and some side dishes that she liked. "How did she have time to prepare this..." She sat down and immediately ate the kimchi.

There was a note under the soup bowl.

'Yesterday a tall guy came and looked for you. Wanted to tell you yesterday but you seemed tired. He said you somewhere to go with him....
And he looked fine, so I gave him our address. Only the building, not the flat's number. You know him, right?' There was an arrow so she followed the direction...

And there was Nayeon's hand-drawing of his face. It was indeed Youngho's face.

Nara took her phone and called Nayeon.

'Hm?'

"You know you can just call or text me, right? No need to bother writing a note." She ranted as she shove a spoonful of omurice into her mouth.

'Yea, sure I can. But I wanted to draw his face.' Nayeon chuckled.

"..."

'But, who is he? I never met him before. I mean, I don't know all of your friends but he doesn't look like your type of friends.'

"We just met. Like a week ago...I guess?"

Nayeon scoffed. 'He looks like a model. Or is he? He's really tall.'

"I don't even know what he does, eonni. I'm hanging up the phone, then."

'Ah, wait. I forgot to write it down. He said he's coming at 8 pm. Where are you going anyway?'

"8 pm? Ah, okay. Just, well, he has friends who are in a band... And what was that, hmm if I'm not wrong it's a secret gig or something... This Saturday."

'Wait... A secret gig this Saturday?? Are you talking about that NCT band?? I saw a sticker in the subway, hinting that they're going to have a secret gig.'

"You know them?" Nayeon chewed her food slowly.

'I know them? I'm a fan, basically. They are all cute. I almost wished I was born ten years younger.' Nayeon whined. 'Ah, I'm jealous. Did that tall guy tell you where the gig will be at?'

"I didn't even pay attention to what he was saying to begin with, eonni. Didn't even want to go." Nara finished her breakfast and went to the fridge to get her yogurt. She put the phone on loud speaker. She ate her yogurt leaning on the fridge.

'I'm jealous. Super.' Then a voice in the background called Nayeon's name. 'Ah, yes, yes, I'll be right there. I'm hanging up. See you.'

"Hm." Nara sighed and scooped her last spoon of cherry yogurt.

--

In the music academy, Boram was running through the hallway. She was late for her practice times. She ran toward the stairs, her practice room was next to it.

"Just a little more...hhh...hh..." She almost slipped down when a teacher walked next to her. He just exited the room across her practice room.

"Watch out, young lady. You might fall." The teacher was an old man but she never saw him before. And she was sure he came out from the teacher's room. "If you fall, those hands will be at stake."

Boram just nodded. "E-eh, yes, sonsaengnim."

He chuckled, showing his wrinkles around his eyes even more. "I'm not a teacher here, student."

"But you were in there..." She peeked the teacher's room.

"I was just seeing a friend. I had an accident- fell from the stairs- and I was asking for an advice."

"Y-you fell? Then are your hands okay, sir?"

The old man moved his hands up and down, back and front. "It's still recovering, but I still know piano by heart." He tapped Boram's shoulder. "That's why you need to be careful, okay? What instrument do you play?"

"Violin..." She just remembered that she was late for her practice. "Violin!! Ah, sir! I'm late for my practice." She bowed 90 degrees. "Nice to meet you. Good luck with your hands. Hwaiting!"

Boram quickly went into her practice room where her teacher was making a face for her lateness. The old man just chuckled seeing the situation until the door was closed.

"It's not me who needs cheering." He gave a fatherly smile as he walked down the stairs one step at a time.

--

Beep beep beep.

The alarm disturbed Nara's peaceful nap. She tapped her phone screen to turn it off. Yawning, she checked the time. "Wh- this is the third alarm?? Why is it 7 pm already??"

She got up from the couch and turned off the tv. She went to the bathroom to wash her hair and face. Her body hair shivered as the cold water touched her skin. "Ack, it's cold!" She grunted. "Why do I have to say yes to go out on Saturday night?"

After drying her hair and dressed up in thick oversized sweater and raw cut jeans, Nara sat in front of the mirror. "Should I put on some makeup? Since he always looks dashing-" Then she slapped herself lightly. "What was that? It's not even a date!" She just put on light makeup just about enough to make herself presentable.

She saw the clock on her desk was stroking 8 pm sharp. She put on her jacket, took her navy blue totebag and left the flat. For some unknown reasons, she felt nervous. 'Why am I nervous?'

Ding!

She reached the first floor and saw no one. "I must be too early. Stupid." She walked outside to check how cold it was.

But she saw him. Leaning on his black motorbike with a pale face from the cold night. He kept warming his hands.

'How long has he been waiting over there?' She thought.

Youngho saw her and waved his hand. "Here."

Nara walked toward him. He was wearing layered clothes but it didn't look warm. He wore denim jacket under his black leather jacket. And a gray sweatshirt hoodie underneath. "Aren't you cold?"

"It's fine as long as I put on the helmet. But it's nice to be worried at." He smiled. He then handed one helmet for her. "Here."

"What are you talking about..." She sulked. "Once I know the place I will go home by myself, you don't have to drive me home, okay?"

Youngho pretended not to hear that and took her helmet from her hands. He easily put on the helmet on her head. "Come, we're late."

Nara wanted to hit him. "Stop doing that. What if you injure my head and I can't think?"

He turned on the engine. "Then it would be better. You think too much." He said in english and smirked. "Get on before I-"

She quickly got on the bike and clicked the helmet. "Stop threatening me."

"But it works." He chuckled softly as he rode away to the street.