Chapter Eight

31/08/12: This chapter has been edited.

Thank you so much to BrambleBriar for the banner! I love it :D

------------------------------------

Connor’s speeding.

            And when I say “speeding”, I don’t mean going the odd five miles over the limit that any normal person will sometimes do. Oh, no. The definition of “speeding” in reference to Connor means hurtling down the street at a pace closer to the speed of light rather than the limit of the road.

            And quite frankly, I’m scared for my life.

            Gripping the edge of the fabric seat, I steal a glance at him behind the wheel. However, Connor doesn’t seem to share the same fear-stricken expression as me, and is watching the road ahead of him with such a relaxed air that you’d think he was waiting calmly at a stoplight. My eyes flicker over his face, mostly in disbelief at how he can keep his cool in such a potentially dangerous situation.

            I’m not being melodramatic. All it’d take is for a car to pull out from its driveway, and we’d go crashing into them just milliseconds after they came into view.

            Crap. Now that mental image is burned into my mind, only increasing my terror.

            I’m biting my lip anxiously when Connor notices me staring out of the corner of his eye. Instantly his head snaps toward me, shooting me a sharp icy glare.

            “What?”

            “Keep your eyes on the road!” I scold.

            A flicker of amusement crosses his irises. “God, don’t be so touchy. We’re not even going fast.”

            “Yes, we are!” I say exasperatedly. “You’re going at least twenty miles over the limit! Slow down!”

            Connor groans loudly, making a point of rolling his eyes and easing his foot off the accelerator until the car slows to a fraction over the limit. “God, you sound like my mom.”

            “Excuse me for not wanting to die.”

            I avert my gaze, choosing to focus on the view of the road past the windscreen rather than Connor’s face. The gray concrete disappears under us; rows of suburban houses, all practically identical, whip past the windows. As we continue driving through the streets, I notice the number on the speedometer slowly creeping up to where it had previously been residing.

            “Seriously, can you slow down?” I say, my voice sounding a lot more whiny than I had intended. “I do have eyes, you know. I can see when you’re speeding again.”

            “God, are you always this annoying?” Connor snaps, effectively cutting me off. “Constantly going on, complaining all the time... do you ever think to just leave me alone?”

            I’m so startled by his outburst that I can’t form any coherent comeback. Instead, I just sit frozen to the spot, feeling stupider by the second.

            “Thank God,” he mutters.

            That’s when I snap. His sulky attitude I can handle, but sitting here while he throws insults my way is crossing the line. Anger surges through me, and suddenly, argumentative Georgie is being brought to the forefront.