Chapter 20 Confrontation

"Hi I'm actually looking for ward number 32" I asked the receptionist patiently. She was chewing furiously on a piece of gum, her glasses laying limply on the edge of her pointed nose.

"The patients name is Drake Jones" I supplied further. She shook her head, her neatly pushed back bun became a shriveled mess at the top of her head.

She lifted up her perfectly engraved eyebrows, supplying me with a fake smile making me wince.

"Just down the hall and take a left" she replied chewing vigorously on her purple coloured gum. Her eyes scanned me for a brief second, I could tell she was judging what I was wearing.

I'm not going to lie I just ran here in my drags, I know I look a disaster but at this particular point I honestly couldn't care less. I had tied my hair in a high pony and still had my slippers on, so obviously she was going to laugh at my appearance.

"Thanks" I replied confidently, giving her a small nod before walking of in the direction of the ward. Ok ward number 32, number 32, number 32.

Nope that number 28, it must be down the hall, I treaded forward looking closely at the ward numbers.

Number 31 it must be ahead. I continued walking forward peering into each corridor to make sure that I didn't miss 32.

When the sign for ward 32 came into view, fear began to overwhelm me, as well as guilt.

Fear because I was about to confront Alexis and guilt because I wasn't here for Drake. Don't get me wrong I love Drake but as a friend! What happened that night was a total mistake and I never intended for it to get that far. I was hurt so bad that I didn't realize what I was doing, I didn't realize that I was leading Drake on and putting his life in jeopardy. I didn't realize that I still have feelings for Trent and no matter how much I try to push them to the back of my mind or try to forget about him.

I can't.

I've given up fighting, I'm going to go back to him and accept his apology.

I know use must be thinking that I'm making a big mistake and I'm stupid, but I have other responsibilities such as mine and Trent's child.

I want him or her to have a bright future and I know the child won't have a bright future if it doesn't have a fatherly figure. I don't want my child to be deprived of his or her parents like I am.

I honestly have given up on fighting, I'm done with running away from Trent, I'm done with crying every night, I'm done with leading Drake on, I'm done with being jealous of Hannah because she's with the man I'm supposed to be with.

I don't want to look at both of them and think what it would be like to be in Hannah's place, because I'm getting my man back and I don't care if he cheated on me twice, I have to make sure my child has a bright future ahead of it.

But firstly I have to deal with the situation in hand.

I stood outside ward number 32, room number 3 which was Drakes room. My hand was shaking as it lay limply on the door knob.

I have to confront Alexis, I have to ask her if what my mum said is true or not!

I turned the handle stepping into the room as all eyes landed on me. I could hear shrill crying as Drakes mum sat beside him on the bed.

"Sweetie come on get up" she caressed his face gently, as she looked into his shut eyes.

"Drake stop fooling around get up!" she screamed in his ear, as everyone watched the action unfold in front of there eyes without making a single attempt to help the poor lady.

I walked over to her, grabbing on to her arm in a comforting gesture, as she leaned on me her soft tears trickled down my arm.

"It's ok Mrs Jones, its going to be ok" I assured her even though I didn't know what was going on. I gently tapped her back to comfort her, I could see her eyes begin to droop shut as sleep took over her.

☯ ☯ ☯ ☯ some time later ☯ ☯☯ ☯

Half an hour had passed in complete and utter silence. No one had said a word.

Only the soft murmur of the machines could be heard and an occasional cough or sneeze from Zach (A/n thats Alex's boyfriend) . I had still not had a chance to speak to Alex because of the tense atmosphere.

Drakes family members had all left including his mum, who had fallen asleep on me. His older brother Ron said he would take his mum home and come later. So there was only me, Alex, Zach and obviously Drake in the room.

Alex was laying on Zach's arm, as Zach drew small comforting circles on her back.

"I'm going to go get something from the canteen" Zach finally broke the tense silence.

"Want anything?" he asked Alex.

"No" Alex replied "I hate hospital food" she said giving a soft smile.

"How about you Lana?" he asked looking at me as I rested my head on the hard brick wall.

"No I hate hospital food, but thanks for offering Zach" I smiled politely as he nodded.

"I'm going to go buy pizza from a nearby shop since no one likes hospital food. We can share then" he said getting up from his seat and giving us a small smile.

"See you guys in about half an hour" he opened the door and walked out. Leaving only me and Alex in the room.

That's when the awkwardness set in, the atmosphere was so tense I was rethinking if I should really ask Alexis about her knowing about my mate cheating on me or not.

"Your mate did a pretty bad job" she said trying to lighten the mood. "The doctor said he needs rest since he has bruised ribs and a hell of a lot of fractures."

I looked up at her trying to find any trace of guilt hidden in her eyes. But there was nothing. They were emotionless!

"He gave Drake an injection to ease the pain and that's what made him drowsy and fall asleep" I listened to her then nodded.

"What did he say to the doctor?" I asked curiously, as I picked on my nails at the same time.

"What do you mean?" she asked me, a hint of confusion was plastered on her face.

"Did he tell that Trent did that to him?" I asked quizzically.

"No he said he was crossing the road when he was knocked over" a small laugh escaped both our lips. "Then he said the guy ran away" I gave another short laugh as Alex looked up at me.

"Alex I have to ask you something." I said looking into her eyes.

She hesitated before nodding her head "ok go ahead". I took a deep breath before I spoke.

"Did you know that Trent was cheating on me?" I asked her looking deeply into her eyes. She froze as silence flew over the room, her eyes looked into mine and I could see guilt in them.

That gave me my answer.

Without saying a word I got up from my seat and walked over to the door, as tears welled into my eyes.

"Lana wait!" she yelled after me but I slammed the door shut behind me.

I heard the door creak open behind me but I was already half way down the hallway.

"I did it for a reason!" she clarified making me stop in my tracks and turn around to face her.

Trent had said the exact same thing to me. Is there anyone I can trust?

--------

UNEDITED !!

Obsessed with warrior by Demi Lovato ❤ I was listening to it as I wrote this chapter!

Remember vote comment and fan
It means a lot to me

Bye cookie monsters

-a.k