f i v e

When I finally cracked my eyes open it was still dark but the car was stopped. I glanced up and Carl was still in my lap but Dad and Lori were no where to be found. I looked out the window and saw a RV and a camp fire along with a couple other cars and tents. We must have found a camp! I slowly shook Carl awake.

"Hey, buddy, wake up. We seem to be at a camp."

"Huhhh." He grumbled as he shifted in my arms. "Leave me alone Aspen." He rolled over.

"No, Carl. Get up." I sat him up and opened the door of the car. "We need to go find my dad and Lori." I pulled Carl out of the car and took another look around. The camp seemed deserted, but I saw two figures that looked like a man and a woman talking to what looked like to be an older man.

"Come on Carl, I think that's them over there." I grabbed Carl's hand and pulled him along towards the three people. As I got closer I recognized my dad and Lori, but I didn't recognize the older man.

"Finally." My dad noticed my arrival. "We're just talking with Dale here about sleeping arrangements."

Dale turned to me. "Ah, yes. I'm Dale by the way, if you didn't guess."

"Aspen." He shook my hand.

"I was just saying that we have an extra tent, but there's only room for three, and even then it would be a snug fit. I looked to Dad and Lori.

"I would be to big, Carl can sleep with you guys." I turned back to Dale. "Where would I be sleeping?"

"I have an extra bed in the RV, it's more comfortable than a tent anyways."

"Dad, is it okay if I stay in the RV?" I didn't get the impression Dale would do anything to hurt me,  so I wasn't worried. Besides, I felt safer in the RV than in a tent anyways.

Dad gave Lori a look. "I would rather you stay with me..."

"It's fine." Lori quickly interrupted. Then she turned away from me and took Carl's other hand. "Come on sweetie let's go to bed. It's been a long day for all of us."

"Goodnight Aspen. Love you." Carl said.

"Love you too Carl." I gave his hand a quick squeeze as I released it.

"I'm going to set up the tent for them." And with that my dad turned and walked away, not even giving me a second glance.

"Okay Dale, I'm really tired, would you mind showing me the way to the RV?"

"Sure no problem." He turned and started walking to the camper I saw earlier. Me following closely behind.

Daryl's POV:
I watched as the girl and the little boy I assumed was her brother got out of the car. I was up in a tree, because that's where I normally keep watch, so they didn't notice me. She had an obvious natural beauty, but as I looked closer, her eyes were red and blotchy like she had been crying. 

I watched as she talked with Dale and who two people I assumed were her parents. She seemed very skittish at the idea of sleeping in a tent, so when Dale offered her the idea to sleep in the RV, she quickly took it. I watched her all the way until she went into the RV and shut the door.

Man, it was going to be hard to stay away from her. But there's no possibility for us so I shook those thoughts away.

Aspen's POV:
As I entered the RV, I saw a couch and a bed. "I'll take the couch." Dale quickly said as he saw me assessing the situation.

"No Dale, I came into your camper, you can take the bed." I said, even though I knew I would likely get no sleep on the couch.

"No, I insist. I bet you had a really long day, you take the bed." He started putting sheets on the couch. "Goodnight Aspen."

"Thank you so much Dale. Goodnight." I walked to the bedroom and shut the door. I was tempted to take a shower, but I was far too tired. I collapsed on the bed thinking sleep would never come, but it soon overtook me and I dreamed of piercing blue eyes watching me from the trees.