Chapter Fifty-Two

Danielle’s POV:

We rested on our separate sides that night. We both acted like we were asleep but we laid there wide awake. I was cold without his warm body and he couldn’t seem to lay still.

I kicked myself over and over again; running the scenario in my mind. He hadn’t said a word since his okay. I wasn’t sure what to think.

I watched Niall rise out of the corner of my eye. He sat facing the window; his body a silhouette. He rubbed his face with his hands and stood to his feet. His alarm hadn’t even gone off yet. I pretended I was asleep while he walked to the bathroom and shut the door behind him.

-

I must have actually fallen asleep with the familiar sounds of Niall because I woke up to an empty room and the sun in my face. He didn’t say goodbye like he usually did. “I’m so stupid.” I said to his empty apartment. I checked my phone and saw that I was awake before my alarm.

I pulled myself from the sea of blankets and pulled the hair tie out of my hair. I didn’t feel like showering so I quickly changed in something comfortable and washed my face. I left the apartment and planned on walking to Eleanor’s so I could work alone today. I didn’t want any company.

I listened to my music while I briskly walked the long path to her place. Every once in a while I would stop and take a picture with a fan who recognized me, or I would sign an arm, but then I was on my way again.

I was about an hour into my walk when I thought of calling Maura. She was like a mother to me.

I brought the phone to my ear and waited. “’Ello, dear! How ‘re you?” She chimed.

“Hi, Maura. I’m alright.” I lied. “How are you today?”

“Oh, great! I was just about to fly out the door when you called. What’s up, love?”

“Oh, nothing. I just wanted to see how you were. I haven’t talked to you in a couple weeks.”

“If I know ya, Danielle, I know that you don’t call without a plan of attack. What’s wrong?” Her voice grew with sensitivity. I paused and sat on the ground next to a wire fence.

“Does the whole popstar thing get easier? Will he ever not be busy?” I tried my best to keep my emotions under control. Although, I wasn’t sure how I was sounding to her.  She sighed through the phone.

“He’ll always be busy but that doesn’t mean he won’t try to make time for you. Give him time. I know they’re working on a new record right now; so schedules are tight.” She paused. “…Look, love. I’ve got to rush out the door. We can chat later if you’d like.”

“No, no. I’m fine.” I sounded the way my words described myself. I just needed a little cheering up.

“Alright. Call me if you need me.”

“Thanks, Maura.”

-

I started painting at Eleanor’s place and found myself singing loudly while I worked. I moved furniture away from the walls and took down pictures before I began putting up the primer. I used to sing all the time. Granted, it was when I was alone. But for some reason I just couldn’t stop singing while I worked. Maybe it helped push my emotions down.

While the primer dried in the foyer I began moving furniture and toys around in the baby’s room. I then finished hanging up pictures and decorations. I searched through the closet and found tiny bags of clothing which Eleanor must have bought here and there, and then snuck it in the house when no one was watching. I brought multiple bags over to the large dresser and began folding.