Chapter Three: Blue Rose

It was just a coincidence.

"Why isn't there ever anything good on TV...?" Rob mumbled to himself, lounging on his couch as his eyes flickered between the phone in his hand and the TV, on which he was flipping through the channels, unable to find anything interesting on. Groaning he finally gave up and turned it to a random news channel, turning his attention back to his phone.

For Rob, it had been a fairly busy day. He recorded Factions and Rocket League, both sessions being longer than he would have liked, which led to him editing for longer than he wanted to, which eventually resulted in Rob staying up past midnight, and making him really sleepy. So now Rob was on the couch, scrolling through his Twitter account, hoping that he might possibly spontaneously fall asleep out of nowhere.

"In other news, there have been a string of strange occurrences in the state of Texas today..."

Rob snapped to attention, looking at the TV screen with a raised eyebrow. It was rare for most Canadian news stations to cover things going on in other countries, unless it was about politics, or things like that. Shutting his phone screen off, he turned to watch the TV with a new sense of curiosity. They were showing footage of an alleyway. Though the footage was dark, Rob could at least make out what was happening on the screen. It was an aerial view, and there appeared to be a few figures fighting in the street below, one of them weaving through them, throwing punches and kicks, while the others unsuccessfully tried to keep their distance from him.

But there was a certain detail of the fight that was unusual, and Rob could tell that said detail is why this fight was on the news in the first place.

The hooded figures arms were wrapped in flames.

The hooded figure didn't seem to find it, instead seeming to use it to his advantage. The fire went from his hands to his shoulders, and when the figure made a throwing motion towards one of the men he was fighting, a ball of flame was sent toward him, knocking into his legs and knocking him down immediately. Soon enough, there was only one man left, who was scrambling away from the figure as fast as he could. Instead of running to catch the fleeing man, he simply raised his hand toward him, and to Rob's astonishment, a large fireball shot from his hand and into the man's back, making him fly forward before crashing to the ground.

That was where the footage ended.

Rob stared at the screen with his jaw to the floor, while the newscaster continued to narrate the event, and though Rob wasn't really listening, he heard words such as "vigilante", "superhuman", and "drug bust" thrown around often in the conversation.

Rob knew that this wasn't the first instance of a supposed "superhuman" appearing out of nowhere as well. He remember seeing Preston retweet something about it as well on his Twitter, about two popping up in Florida, where two of his other friends lived. It was strange, for sure, but Rob couldn't help but be amazed. It was like a comic book!

But it was for that reason that Rob was skeptical about it. Superpowers? It seemed real, with the eyewitness reports, and of course the footage he had just seen, but this was real life. Those kind of things weren't supposed to be real.

Rob reached for his phone, and quickly texted Preston, curious to find out his opinion.

Rob L.: Dude, have you seen the news?!?

Rob eagerly waited for a response, getting one back almost instantly.

Preston A.: What news? I don't get the same news as you do bro. I don't live in Canada. XD

Rob L.: You seriously haven't seen it? Remember that article that you retweeted about those two guys in Florida, the superhumans?

Preston A.: Thanks for stalking my Twitter, and yes, I remember. Why?