The Meeting

Lynx was looking at me strangely so I handed the note over to her. Severus knew I told Lynx everything, and I presumed he didn't mind after she chewed him out that one morning a couple of months ago.

She handed the note back soon and winked at me. I laughed quietly at that. She was wishing me well, and I silently thanked her for all the support she had been since Christmas. She and Allistor were getting really serious. She told me that she was considering telling him she loves him, but she didn't want to do it too soon.

A thought struck me as I recalled that conversation. I have got to wear my bamboo cloak tonight, I told myself. I had to wear it and make sure Severus and I came into physical contact at least once to see what would happen. I wasn't sure I was prepared for the result, but I had to know.

I went to my classes as usual without incident. I was glad that the teachers were going light on the homework tonight. I had been a bit less diligent in my schoolwork lately; all but potions at least. Fortunately I had never had to study much, yet I always did well in school.

When 7:50 rolled around I left the Slytherin common room and headed to Severus's chambers. I was kind of excited to be visiting them again. I really liked the feel of the dark room even if it was lonely. I felt special being the only student to even know where they were, and I made sure I wasn't followed.

I reached the place in the hall just past where the light stopped and tapped the stone three times. Nothing happened. Then I remembered Severus had also said a password to open the stone. I frowned because I hadn't a clue what the password was, and Severus hadn't mentioned it in the note. So I did the only thing I could think; I banged on the wall as hard as I could without hurting myself.

Immediately the stone began to shift away revealing the Potions Master standing in the threshold looking irritated. I smiled brightly up at him, and he quickly pulled me into his chambers. He closed the door as the stones slid silently back into place.

"Did you have to make such a racket?" he asked accusingly crossing his arms over his chest. God he looked sexy when he stood like that. I had found my attraction for him growing steadily to the point I dreamed of him from time to time. Not necessarily romantic dreams, but he was there.

"Yes," I said strolling into his chambers as if they were my own. I had studied him enough to know he hates not being in control of a situation. I figured this would be a good time to take control for myself and push him. I heard him growl quietly under his breath as he came to stand beside me. I continued looking over his book collection.

"I hate to interrupt you rapt examination of my personal library," he said smarmily, "but I'm afraid we don't have all the time in the world to talk." I turned to him now and suddenly found it difficult to breathe. He seemed particular dominating tonight.

"Alright," I said, but it came out as more of an exhale. He placed a hand on my arm and led me across the room to the kitchen area. I was chilled by his touch yet warmed at the same time. Since our skin hadn't actually touched I knew the cloak would not change.

Severus pulled the single wooden chair away from the table and duplicated it with a wave of his wand. He dragged the duplicate chair to the other side of the table and gestured for me to sit in it. I did without question. He pushed my chair in for me like a gentleman and walked over to his kitchen cabinet.

He grabbed two small glasses and filled one with a dark brandy. The other he filled with tea. He brought the glasses to the table and sat the tea in front of me as he lowered himself into his seat.

"First, let me say again that there isn't much that I can say," he sighed. I nodded sipping my tea. I waited for a minute before he began again.

"I am...involved in many things that keep me far too busy to pursue any sort of a personal life, much less a relationship with a student."

"You say that, but you still manage to find the time to talk with me now," I challenged evenly. "I think if you tried, not having the time would hardly be your biggest problem. You know I would be more than willing to help you in whatever duties you may have."

"You can't always help though Isabella," he said with frustration. He was making an effort not to get angry. I appreciated that, but I had to press further.

"Why?" I asked simply. A tick in his jaw went off as he clenched and unclenched his teeth over and over. There was something attractive about it that I couldn't explain. He downed all of his brandy in one drink before he answered.

"I can't really tell you," he sounded pained. His voice was becoming strained. "Right now things are a bit easier for me, but that could change at any time. At any moment my duties could call, and I would be obligated to answer them. I am not the sort that a girl like you should get involved with. If you knew me you would understand that." I had him now. I leaned forward.

"Then let me get to know you, Severus," I pleaded with my eyes. I was in control now, even if Severus didn't realize it yet. A glimmer of pain passed across his face, but it was quickly replaced by frustration again.

"There's no point Isabella. If circumstances were different I might would let you get to know me. You would find you didn't like the true me as much as you think you do now and then you would move on to someone better suited for you," he said in a mildly condescending tone. I got angry.

"Professor," I said coolly. His radar immediately picked up my change in mood. I hadn't called him Professor in two months. "I may not know you, but you don't know me any better so I would prefer it if you would stop acting like you know what I would do and how I would feel." My words were clipped and crisp. I saw his face flush a bit with his own anger, and he physically made an effort to calm down.

"You see," he started darkly. I tensed up immediately. I could sense he was about to snatch control of the conversation right out of my hands, "all we seem to be able to do is go 'round and 'round angering each other."

"Only because you insist on being stubborn!" I exploded standing up with my hands flat on the table. My words, however, didn't come out exceptionally loud. He immediately did the same with a snarl.

"I am being no more stubborn than you, Insolent Child!" he seethed. Our faces were less than a foot apart now. I barely noticed in my frustration. We both stood there breathing heavily and glaring at each other with intensity. We were two rattlesnakes facing off; rattles shaking furiously.

The fire in his hearth had done little to knock the chill out of the cold dungeon room, but now I was uncomfortably hot. I noticed this and glanced at the fire. The green flames were a much deeper shade now and were roaring so high the tips were lost just inside the chimney. I also noticed the other, smaller flames in the sconces about the room had nearly tripled in size.

I took a deep breath realizing it was probably my fault the fires had changed. Severus seemed to notice the fire as well because he went back to refill his glass with brandy. I could still feel tension rolling off him.

"Please try not to blow anything of mine up," he commented dryly with his back to me. I blushed slightly. At least the mood of the room had lightened some.

"I just have to stay more or less calm," I said quietly and polished off my tea. I took my glass to the counter where Severus was still standing. He nearly jumped when I appeared beside him, he was so tense.

I moved around him barely far enough away to avoid knocking into him, and picked up the tea pot. Apparently he had intended to hand it to me because our hands landed on its handle at the same time; his just overlapping mine.

Like a slow blush my robe turned the deepest shade of blood red..