Episode 85 - Plucking Flowers

Warning! This episode might cause you to laugh out loud or choke on your drink/food. Please keep it in mind while reading. You have been warned.

Previously:

Elaru picks up Kiel's ring and the two of them go to Black Pearl restaurant where she intends to give him the ring and explain its usage. Unfortunately, as they enter the lobby of the restaurant, they run into Rhur Rroda – Kiel's older brother, and his date. Kiel reveals that he is participating in Muni entrance exams.

* * *

"Muni exams are very difficult little brother. You shouldn't speak of it so lightly. Each year the exam results shatter the hopes of many, some of which never recover from the blow on their self-esteem. I would hate it if the same happened to you little brother." Rhur spoke with false concern, looking at Kiel with furrowed eyebrows, a perfect image of a worried older brother.

How very touching. Kiel glared at Rhur and spoke slowly, venom almost dripping from his words: "Thank you for your concern, older brother. However, you are worrying too much. My exams have gone quite well so far."

"I see. That is good." Rhur smiled warmly. "How long will you be staying in Ashar before returning to the village?"

It was simply amazing how many blows one could incorporate within seemingly harmless words. Not only was Rhur pointing out that Kiel belonged in an insignificant village but he was also implying that he wouldn't pass the exams, and would, in turn, return to Beyd.

"I won't be returning to Beyd for the time being. Older brother, I would love it if you could show me around Muni."

"I'd love to do so as well, however, even as a student of Muni, I am unable to bring other people inside. You would have to be a student of Muni to enter." Rhur spoke regretfully. His acting ability was clearly the cream of the crop.

"Naturally. There won't be any issues. I am a Rroda after all." Kiel smiled icily.

Rhur delightedly took the opportunity to strike another blow: "Well said. If a Rroda couldn't pass the exam, it would be downright embarrassing. Do your best, little brother, otherwise, if grandfather isn't satisfied with your performance... even if I pleaded for you, I would be unable to help you escape punishment."

When did you ever plead for my sake?! You'd pretend to help only to pin more crimes on my head! Kiel snorted internally, however, outwardly he smiled. "Thank you, brother, for your kind intentions. Please be at ease. I won't disappoint grandfather. In fact, I might even beat your score." Kiel winked.

Just you wait. I'd like to see your face when I actually do beat your score.

As the two were bantering, the waiter returned with two expensive looking wine bottles and proceeded to serve it to everyone, before once again walking out of the room.

Rhur laughed merrily, unaware that Kiel's words weren't just attempts to save face. "That's the spirit! If you set me as your goal you won't go astray."

Kiel's laughter joined Rhur's. "Older brother is indeed something else... Unfortunately, I am afraid that I won't be able to follow in your footsteps. Our views and aspirations don't match."

"Indeed." Rhur brought his glass up in a cheering motion before putting it to his lips and taking a slow sip.

The wine had a sweet taste and simply melted in one's mouth. Rhur had to admit it was one of the finest wines he had ever tried.

How come I've never heard of such a fine wine? Rhur wondered. He didn't even remember seeing it on the menu. He couldn't help but reevaluate Elaru Wayvin. She wasn't a noble, but her taste in wine was exquisite. Perhaps she often hanged around nobles?