Chapter 5

Two arms wrapped around my waist, preventing me to fall to the ground. I looked up and expected to see a handsome doctor like in movies or romance novels. But nothing could be less true than that.

"Lucienne? What are you doing here? Why aren't you at the office? I thought you had meetings today? Have I taught you nothing at all?" My father whisper shouted at me. Some may have been surprised if their father would have spoken to them like this, but for me, this was the standard for as long as I could remember.

But I was no longer a little girl that would just let it happen and would then run to my brother to cry on his shoulder. I was now a grown-up woman, running a billion-dollar company and I happened to be pretty good it. So I did what I always did. I straightened my back and lift my chin after I took a step back. "Hello to you too, father. How lovely to see you finally taking some time to visit your freaking son!" I looked around to the people around me. "Seriously, can someone give this man the 'father-of-the-year' award, he truly deserves one."

I pushed past him and made sure my shoulder made contact with his, making him stumble a bit to stay in place. As I stepped outside of the hospital I welcomed the spring sun like an old friend and hailed a cab. "Where to, Miss?" The cab driver asked me.

"I just shrugged my shoulders and gave him a twenty-dollar bill. "How about you just take me as far away from this place possible." My voice must have sounded desperate because he just nodded his head and drove off. I rested my head against the window and looked at the skyscrapers towering over me. They reminded me that no matter how successful you may be, some things will always be bigger than you. That thought had always helped to keep me grounded.

Lost in thought, I was a little startled as the cab came to a halt. I looked to my left and saw we stopped at Central Park and a smile appeared on my face. "I figured you might need some space to just clear your head. This place always seemed to help me." The driver said.

I smiled at him and gave him another twenty-dollar bill as a tip. "Thank you. Have a nice day." And with that said, I got out of the cab and entered the green escape of Manhattan. I found myself wandering around for an hour before I decided to just grab a sandwich from one of the facilities in the park. Strolling over to there I, once again, collided with another body and I immediately yelped out in pain. Steaming hot coffee was spilt all over me, leaving my top and jacket ruined. "Can't you watch where you're going?! Gosh, that's hot!"

"Look where I am going? What about you? You were looking straight at me?" The guy hot back instantly. Finally recovered from the shock, I looked up at the guy. In front of me stood the typical tall, dark and handsome guy every girl secretly dream about. His chocolate brown eyes stared me down, waiting for me to reply.

"I'm so sorry. My mind was dealing with some business and I wasn't paying attention." I stammered, still a bit taken aback by his handsome appearance.

"Yes, well you got that right. And you ruined my coffee, thanks a lot for that." His darkened and I somehow knew that indicated he was angry. What was is with all guys being so short-tempered today? However, his attitude triggered something inside me and I felt all the frustration from earlier today with my father rising again.

"It's not like I'm walking away unharmed! My top and jacket are completely ruined! Normally, I would offer to get you a new cup of coffee since I was indeed at fault here, but it's not like you couldn't have stepped aside yourself. If you saw me 'looking right at you'," I made sure to gesture some air quotes and emphasize on the looking part to make my point. "You could've also prevented this whole circus."

All he did was giving me an amused smirk. "Looks like the princess has got into some trouble she can't pay her way out of or daddy won't be able to fix for her. Don't worry Princess, I can get my own coffee, you probably won't even know what it's like to get some for yourself, let alone for someone else." And with that, he brushed past me, not even glancing back.

What a prick! How dared he to judge me like that?

I looked down at my top and jacket and let out a deep sigh. Instead of grabbing myself a sandwich at the park, I just hailed a cab and told the driver to take me home.

-