Chapter 36

Brandon is coming over today. I don't usually worry about cleaning or cooking or anything when a friend comes over, but this is different. This is my popular boyfriend.

I clean up as much as I can and cook some mac and cheese, I know, pathetic, but what can I say? I've never been the cooking type, I guess that's one thing I didn't get from my mom.

Mom is waiting in the living room for his sweet arrival, when the doorbell rings, I run over as fast as I can, but still mom beats me to the door. She sticks her tongue out at me before smiling and opening the door. Instantly her face darkens, and her eyes widen with what looks like...fear?

I clear my throat and walk in front of my mom, over to Brandon "hey" I say giving him a quick kiss on the lips which he returns. Mom watches Brandon and I with a facial expression I can't quite pinpoint, looks kind of like a mixture of fear and maybe anger? But that doesn't make any sense, why would she be looking at Brandon like that? As Brandon and mom stare at each other (while I awkwardly watch them, unsure of what to do. I try reading mom's mind but for some strange reason she's thinking about rainbows, which totally weirds me out), mom's face slowly morphs into a smile, her eyes turn happy yet slightly...glazed over? Okay I must be imagining things, I have to be. mom steps aside and tells him to come in, in a overly chippy voice. Brandon and I walk to the living room "I forgot to warn you, but my mom is going to have to meet you, ask you a few questions, all that, before we hang out" I whisper to Brandon who laughs "that's alright" he says. We sit down on the coach as mom brings in the mac and cheese, a big smile still on her face.

"Alright, I've never been that cliche obsessive mom that asks Beth's boyfriends a thousand questions....but that's because she's never given my the chance!" Mom exclaims and Brandon laughs, giving my hand a squeeze. I feel my cheeks blush slightly and clear my throat. "Can you just ask the questions and get this over with?" I mumble looking away. I hear mom laugh "so Brandon, where do you plan on going to college after high school?" Mom asks leaning in "mom-" I start to say but Brandon interrupts "I've applied to Princeton, Harvard, and Yale, so far I've gotten into Yale and Princeton, but I haven't heard back from Harvard and that's my number one choice, so I'm still waiting" Brandon says. I have to admit, I'm really impressed by his answer, mom must be too because her thoughts are clearly excited saying that he's a fantastic influence on me. "Very prestigious, congratulations. What are you going to major in?" Honestly, I might be just as interested in these answers as mom is. "Surgical practice" he answers. Ooh a doctor. Mom nods, a bright smile on her face. "So you want to be a surgeon?" She asks and Brandon nods "wow. I'm more and more impressed by the second" my mom says and Brandon chuckles. "I must say, I was quite impressed myself, you're so young. At first I thought you were Bethany's sister" Brandon says charmingly. Mom blushes lightly and giggles, she actually giggles! Mom so does not seem like the type to fall for that time of charming "oh stop, you're just saying that" she says waving him off. Brandon continues to charm mom and mom continues to giggle and act totally out of character for a seriously long time, soon I'm almost convinced I'm not the one in a relationship with Brandon. After what feels like forever, they say it was nice meeting each other and mom leaves to the kitchen.

I look over at Brandon "okay that was seriously weird" I say and Brandon looks down at me confused "whaddaya mean?" He asks "it's just, one second my mom is like, I don't know,...scared or something, and the next she's laughing and giggling, not acting like herself at all" I say thinking out loud. Brandon waves it off "why would your mom be scared of me?" He asks in a skeptical voice. Thinking about it, the idea gets sillier and sillier by the moment, and I actually end up laughing off the thought "you're right, if she was scared, it was probably only because she was nervous that somebody as handsome as you could easily leave me for someone else" I joke "that would never happen" Brandon says kissing me softly on the lips. "I know" I whisper.