Chapter Eight-Losing Focus

Chapter Eight

Losing Focus

Nails clenched deep into his shoulder blades I was forced to stay still.

My breaths came out in hurried pants as I realized we were about twenty to thirty feet above ground, sailing above the trees and the cabin and Wolvenpraire. I turned to face him, eyes wide only to see rippled black wings slowly unfurl from beneath his shoulders. The black feathers looked lethal-strong and sturdy yet sharp as a blade. I held my scream in as I stared, heart doing cartwheels in my chest.

"Put me down now! Please-I'll do whatever you want!" I cried, though I didn't mean it. He put a finger to my lip, shushing me. My lower lip trembled as we soared higher, as the night blended in with our bodies. This didn't make any sense. Human bodies weren't built for flight. He was a shapeshifter-how was any of this possible?

"Be patient, darling all will be explained." He whispered to me, voice gritty and sending shivers down my spine. I felt light, almost airless. He could drop me at any moment. His hand was red hot on my waist.

"I promise I won't let you fall."

"I don't believe you." I whispered, tears leaking from my eyes. I wanted to wipe them away but the rush of the wind quickly did the job for me. My hair fluttered over my shoulders and into my eyes-I froze as he grasped a strand.

"Why not?" he breathed. His eyes were wide and earnest, almost genuine. I narrowed my eyes feeling anger spiral through me.

"Are you kidding me? Why would I trust a clearly-deranged, murderous psychopath who has made attempts on my life, I'm pretty sure helped to kill my parents-and oh! My best-friend." I spat angrily, once again struggling from his hold... as though I wounded him with my words.

"Oh sweetheart...we both know that was Justin. The vampire. By the way you said deranged and psychopath, which kinda mean the same thing." The old smirk was back. I rolled my eyes; I knew it was an act.

"Oh really, I know you two work together. You're trying to make me give my soul over to Dimitri, but guess what, it won't happen. You've already taken everything away from me, there's nothing left-what makes you think I'll give up now? "I ranted, my entire body vibrating with heat. He eyed me curiously.

"You think you've got it all figured out don't you?" he whispered as we passed over the main buildings in Wolvenpraire. Hope rose in my chest as I looked down, but we were so far up I doubted anyone would hear my screams. Or even see us. The wind was chilly on my arms, and the unnatural feeling of having no ground beneath me was freaking me out. He was holding me so delicately; I could slip at any moment, crashing down to my death. My heart pounded through my chest.

"Put me down, please. Please." I whispered.

He pouted.

"Don't be scared babe; I'm the fun brother! Are you sure you want me to let you go?" he posed the question slyly; I watched the threat dance on his lips and shook my head fierce.

"N-no, don't drop me. Pl-please." I trembled. The wind rose goose-bumps on my arms. I squeezed my eyes shut, hoping this was all a dream and when I opened them he would go away-

He let me go.

I was weightless in the air, a terrified scream escaping my throat and becoming intermixed with the rush of wind around me. Then suddenly I felt like a sack of potatoes approaching the ground at a deathly-rate or-was it getting closer? All I could feel was the bum-da-bum-bum of my heart-beat and for a second there was the coppery scent of blood-