Chapter I

Faith P.O.V

I was pacing the living room floor, nervously waiting for the life changing letter.

‘Sit down, dear. Stop pacing. You’re going to burn a hole in the floor.’ My mum told me in annoyance. I’d been pacing the floor for two days straight. Dad walked in.

‘Sit.’ He told me in a stern but joking tone. I did as I was told but wasn’t able to sit still. My hands ticked on the table and my legs shook.

‘Faith, calm down.’ My dad said. ‘I’m sure it will arrive soon.’ This life changing letter I was waiting for was a letter from Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry. I was eleven years old and , if I got my letter, I was allowed to go to Hogwarts. I did as I was told for a few seconds. Just as I was about to freak out again, our owl flew in. I’d never been so incredibly happy to see our brown barn owl, Sunny. I mentally giggled again when I thought about his name. I’d named him three years ago. I’d thought the name was incredibly funny because owls are night animals. I untied the letter from his claw and opened it, my hands shaking.

HOGWARTS SCHOOL
of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY 

Headmaster: 
Albus Dumbledore
(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc., Chf. Warlock,
Supreme Mugwump, 
International Confed. of Wizards)

Dear Ms. Campbell,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at 
Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.
Term begins on September 1. We await your owl by no later than July 31.

Yours sincerely, 

Minerva McGonagall
Deputy Headmistress’

I let out a small scream. I had been accepted! I would go to Hogwarts! My parents hugged me and congratulated me happily.

‘That means we’ll go shopping this afternoon.’ My mum told me and I nodded in agreement.

---

‘Where to first?’ I asked mum and dad.

‘Where getting your robes first while your dad is getting your books, so we’re off to Madam Malkin’s.’ My mum said while she gave dad the list of needed books and told him where to go, my dad’s a muggle you see? My mum’s a witch, so that makes me a half-blood . When we walked into ‘Madam Malkin’s Robes For All Occasions’, there were hardly any people, only two students getting their robes. ‘Do you mind if I leave you here for a bit, I have to get your potions equipments. I’ll be right back.’ I nodded and mum left.

‘Can I help you dear?’ A woman asked me. I nodded and told her I was here to get my robes. ‘Hogwarts?’ she then asked and I nodded again. While the enchanted tape-measure was measuring me a boy walked in with two grown-ups who seemed to be his parents and his little brother. The boy seemed my age, a first year, and had slightly long black hair and grey eyes.

‘There are more filthy mudbloods every year!’ I heard his mum say and I resisted the urge to gasp. The boy looked angry and rolled his eyes. They came closer and someone came to measure the boy as well.

‘Hogwarts?’ He asked and I nodded. ‘Yeah me too. I’m Sirius Black.’ He said. I shook his hand. I could see he was arrogant but at least he tried to act nice. Black… The Noble House of Black!? I once again resisted the urge to gasp. That explained his mother’s hate for muggleborns. They were one of the snobbiest full blood families who only cared about blood status. 

‘Faith Campbell.’ The tape-measure was done and Madam Malkin gave me my robes.

‘Nice to meet you Faith. Maybe I’ll see you later.’ He gave me a cocky grin.

I smiled at him.  ‘Yeah probably. Bye.’ Just as I turned to leave the shop, my mum entered. She shot a look at Sirius’ parents.

‘Walburga. Orion.’ She said coldly in greeting.

‘Catherine.’ Was the reply she got. I walked up to my mum and waved goodbye at Sirius.

Next up was Ollivander’s. After trying a lot of wands I started to feel a bit down. What if none of these wands were right for me? What if there was no wand in the whole world right for me? What if they’d say, sorry no wand, no Hogwarts. Then Ollivander grabbed a small black, wooden box from one of the shelves and opened it. Inside, on a dark red velvet cushion, lay a white wand. It was the most beautiful wand I’d ever seen, and the base of the handle seemed to have some sort of dark blue stone with gold specks  in it.

’11,5 inch. Willow, the stone is Lapis Lazuli , the core is unicorn hair. The Unicorn Hair wand is the perfect wand for the clever ones out there in the wizarding world. They are excellent at charms of the offensive, rather than defensive, kind. People with this wand are most likely to be pure of heart, kind, and top of the class.’ he told me and I smiled and tried it. As soon as my hand touched it I knew this was it. This was my wand.

---

‘Bye sweetheart, I’m going to miss you so much. Behave, don’t cause too much trouble, don’t talk to strangers.’ My mum said.

I rolled my eyes. ‘Mum, how am I supposed to make friends, when I’m not allowed to talk to strangers?’

‘Okay you can talk to classmates… Write me as often as you can, okay?’ She kissed my forehead. ‘Be careful and study hard.’ My mum told me while hugging me for the tenth time that day.

‘Fine mum!’ I said while giving my dad a hug. She wiped at her tear stained cheeks. ‘Mum, Pleeeeease! I’m going to Hogwarts and I’ll be back with Christmas! It’s not like I’m going to die or something.’

‘You better not!’ She said. ‘Now off you go. We don’t want you to miss the train.’ And off I was. Off for my first year at Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry. I got on the train, my trunk behind me and searched for an empty compartment. Luckily, I found one and I sat down. I put my trunk down and folded my legs in front of me in a lotus position and took my book out. I opened it at the first page and started reading, completely unaware of the world around me.