27

Twenty-three years. 

Twenty-three years since her last mission. She longed to go outside and stretch her legs, to get back in the rhythm of being the Winter Soldier. She had been in her cryogenic chamber for far too long, in her opinion. 

Her muscles still felt stiff, almost as if they were stuck. She was a little rusty, but it wasn't anything she or her handlers couldn't fix. Her handlers assured her she would be ready for her next mission within a few weeks. By the end of the month, she was in tip-top shape and ready for her next mission.

All around the facility she was kept at, she could hear people muttering about someone called Captain America. The soldier had no idea who that was, only that this captain must be important enough, or a big enough issue, for people around the facility to talk about. 

"Время пришло(it's time)." her handler announced from the doorway of her cell. Within minutes, she was on her feet and in the briefing room.

"Солдат, это Александр Пирс(soldier, this is Alexander Pierce)." 

The soldier's eyes shifted to the side to glare at the older man. He gave off an aura that the soldier knew she couldn't trust. But, she also knew she had to obey orders. Whatever this man wanted her to do, she would have to do it and do it well.

"Он будет отвечать за твою следующую миссию(he will be in charge of your next mission)." her handler concluded before he and all her other handlers left.

"Куда вы? Не оставляйте меня здесь(where are you going? Don't leave me here)!" the soldier cried after her handlers. She shot out of her chair and took a step to follow them, but she was immediately stopped by other soldiers and pushed back into her seat. 

She longed to follow them, to go wherever her handlers went. They were the only people she knew she could trust around here. They didn't treat her the best, but she knew that they were there for her well-being, so she accepted them as a part of her life.

"You don't need them anymore. You're about to become a part of something greater, greater than them, greater than us. It will be a worldwide phenomenon. Don't you want to be a part of something like that?" the man spoke gallantly as he threw his arms this way and that way.

The soldier blinked up at him, defiance bright in her azure eyes. She would not speak a word to this man unless absolutely necessary. 

"Now, now, soldier. I suggest you stay in your place. I am not someone to rebel against. You'll come to find my methods of, teaching, are much worse than your previous handlers." the older man grinned maliciously as he circled around the soldier.

"Rumlow, let's start with the chair. Get her used to us. We'll let her loose tomorrow." he then instructed a much younger man. Alexander Pierce left the room, followed by several other men, leaving only a handful of other soldiers to watch her.

"I heard she's the most ruthless assassin to ever exist."

"Yeah, well I heard she was the one who shot Kennedy."

"No, she was the one who shot Martin Luther King Jr.!" 

"Would you idiots shut the hell up and let me work?" the man Alexander Pierce called Rumlow shouted at the soldiers who stood in a loose group in front of the door.

"Yes sir." they all mumbled, eyes glancing in different directions out of embarrassment. When the soldier heard the chair roar to life, she nearly jumped out of her skin.

Twenty-three years since she had used that god-awful machine. Not once did she ever miss the chair.

"Open wide, Blondie." Rumlow smirked at the soldier before he roughly shoved a plastic mouth piece into her not-quite-open-yet mouth. She glared daggers at the back of his head while he set up the program to distract herself from the reality of what was about to happen. 

Before she knew it, the other soldiers surrounded her and shoved her back against the chair. Leather binds were attached to her wrists and ankles as quickly as possible in order to keep her from escaping. 

"Sweet dreams, Blondie." was the last thing she heard before her body started uncontrollably convulsing. Sparks flew around the electric head piece around her head. 

The memories she had slowly started to regain the past twenty-three years were now gone. Memories of a scrawny kid named Steve, a little girl with yellow ribbons named Annabelle, a boy with a lop-sided smile and chestnut brown hair. These were the only memories she could recover the past twenty-three years.

But, when she got out of that chair, she didn't feel any remorse. Well, she didn't feel any emotions at all. Those memories were gone and Pierce hoped they would never come back. He knew this was a risky mission to assign her, but he needed Captain America and Sergeant Barnes to hurt. It would make killing them a lot easier.

"Sir, she's ready." Rumlow announced to Pierce the next day as soon as the Winter Soldier was in full uniform and was fully equipped with all her weapons.

"Good. You know his route. Set her loose." Pierce instructed before he abruptly ended the call. Rumlow motioned for everyone to move out. Men scrambled to not only get in their vehicles, but to stay out of the Winter Soldier's way.

She had a mission, and everyone could tell. Her face was hard, eyes cold and focused, mouth firmly set. No one dared mess with her. The soldier stalked over to the first vehicle, her hair pulled back in a precise, no-mistake ponytail. Her blonde hair whipped in the wind before it settled over her shoulder as she shut the backdoor of the vehicle.

"Let's go." Rumlow instructed the driver. The soldier watched through the window as the other vehicles turned right instead of turning left. She knew what their plan was. They were to force a man named Nick Fury towards her so she could kill him. 

It was a simple mission, really. She could think of several other missions that she's had that were much harder than this. Eventually, the soldier got bored. She didn't like ground vehicles much. She would rather take any one of the air vehicles she's used in the past. She had no idea what these machines were called.

Her handlers feared she would use her skilled knowledge of machinery to get away or rise up against them if she knew what the machines were called and how different they were from each other. An incident in the early nineteen fifties proved that she knew too much about machinery to be trusted with their names. They knew she was smart enough, and brave enough, to defy their orders and find out through any means how the machines would work in her favor.

So, they were referred to as ground vehicles, air vehicles, and water vehicles only. They weren't called cars, trains, planes, or boats.

"Alright, we're here." Rumlow announced, throwing the car door open and stepping out. The soldier silently followed behind. She tightened the mask around her face to ensure that it wouldn't loosen or come off if a fight broke out. If it did, she knew there would be all kinds of hell to face back at the facility.

"Now's your time, Blondie." Rumlow continued to use his new-found nickname for her. The Winter Soldier watched a beat up black vehicle careen around the corner a few blocks away. She took the grenade launcher from Rumlow's outstretched hand and began stalking towards the oncoming vehicle.

As soon as the vehicle was in range, the soldier aimed the grenade launcher at the underside of the vehicle and pulled the trigger. The driver never saw it coming. Before he knew it, the bomb had attached to the underside of his vehicle and it had flipped over onto it's roof. The vehicle slid past the Winter Soldier before it came to a stop a couple hundred feet away.

The soldier stalked over to the car to make sure her mission was finished. Way in the back of her mind, she hoped it wasn't so she wouldn't have to go back into a cryogenic freeze so soon after being released. Yet, she knew if the man wasn't dead, Pierce would punish her beyond her wildest dreams.

Her metal arm shot out, gripping the soft metal door and completely pulling it off its hinges. When the soldier bent down to look for the man, they only thing she found was a still smoking hole in the ground.