Chapter 17 - What Has Been and What Could Be

(This chapter may be intense)

Lauren closed her eyes and rubbed the bridge of her nose as she could feel a headache begin to form in the base of her skull. It's stressful enough being a 18 year old high school student. Now that she's a werewolf queen and is about to face a war, Lauren felt her stress level go up about a 1000%. This sense of responsibility felt too much to her. She just wanted to be with Camila and be and actress.

A large part of her just wanted to take Camila and run. She could feel her instinct to protect her mate kicking in. Forget the bitch, forget the pack, forget the school and just take the only thing important to you and run, a voice deep inside her said.

Just then from deep in her mind she had a vision that seemed to come out of no where. She saw her ancestor, the princes Elthra, hiding outside the castle. It was a cold night and the dark landscape was illuminated by a blood red moon. She smelled them first as they began to emerge from the forest, it was a horde of vampires.

Looking to the castle she could hear music and laughter. Elthra even managed to pick out the voice of her younger sister, Mary who was only 8 years old. Elthra took a step to the castle, almost emerging from the hiding place but then she froze with fear. Tormented with indecision, anguish and fear Elthra found herself unable to move or speak.

As they approached the gate, it slowly opened and a figure emerged. Elthra could see it was her fathers cousin, Angus. Even in the dim light she could see the evil smile on his face as he opened the gate and walked to the pair of vampires in front. One was a tall male whom she knew as Taran the head vampire, the other a woman was his consort Livia.

Suddenly Lauren felt a chill and realized she was standing in the bushes. Kneeling only inches away was Elthra. She had raven black hair and looked to be about 17, on her face was an expression of horror. But the princess seemed to be unaware of her presence.

"What the fuck.." She mumbled as she looked up at the blood red moon. Lauren passed her hand in front of the princess who didn't react. She just kept staring as the traitor stood before the vampires.

Lauren stepped out of the bushes and walked towards the castle. None of the vampires that stood nearby seemed to notice her presence.

The traitor had a smug expression as she stood before Taran and Livia. They both eyed him with contempt.

"Asshole" Lauren shouted at the traitor, who took no notice of Lauren at all.

"Lord Taran and consort Livia. I have delivered the king, the nobles and their families as I promised. Will I be king now as you promised?" Angus said.

Lauren paid attention to Livia. She looked Italian, and had a staggering cold beauty. But her eyes were dark and dead. On her face was what could only be described a cruel smile.

"Kill him" she said coldly. Within seconds, 5 vampires were on him and quickly dispatched him.

Livia laughed and turned to one of the other vampires. "Toss his corpse in that pig pen over yonder. Let us have our fest and the pigs have theirs."

Taran stood there as if waiting for something. As Lauren watched, Livia took out what appeared to be a amulet and took it in her hand. It was gold and had a red ruby in it. On it, was what Lauren assumed were markings of a long dead civilization. The ruby seemed to glow for a moment as Livia touched it. As it glowed, Lauren could see a brief flash in the eyes of all the vampire present.