Chapter 11

It’s been almost three weeks since we arrived in Japan. The Christmas eve as well as New Year’s was spent with relatives we haven’t seen for years. It was a very relaxing vacation indeed. And just two days from now we need to go back to Korea.

I received messages from Chaeng wishing me a merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. She also told me that she misses me. I didn’t reply to any of her messages. I was a bitch and I know it. But what will I even say to her? The last time we saw each other, she discovered that I’m the kind of person that she despises. I’m defending Jungyeon and Momo because I’m like them. I felt like a hypocrite. Worst part is, I’ve fallen for Chaeng. I guess I’ll just see what’ll happen when I go back.

*****

“Uuugghh” I groaned for the nth time when finally the class ended. It’s just the first day since the classes resumed after vacation, and the day was already packed with challenging discussions. I was drained. I wanted to go home immediately, lie in my bed and just close my eyes. 

I was rushing to get out from the university when I saw a very familiar figure standing near the school gate. She was leaning on the wall, her earphones still tucked in both her ears, her eyes were closed and her head bopping up and down. A very familiar someone, indeed.

I pretended not to notice her and walked faster, until I heard someone calling my name.

“Mina!... Mina unnie!...” it was the voice that I missed so much. I didn’t know what to do so I just decided to stop on my tracks. The next thing I knew that certain someone slapped my arm.

“Ouch!” I turned around while rubbing the spot where she hit me. Then I saw the midget standing right in front of me, her chest still heaving up and down trying to catch her breath. She’s glaring at me.

“Hi Chaeng!” I offered an awkward smile. And she responded by hitting my arm again.

“Hey! What did you do that for?” I rubbed my arm again.

“You meanie! You’re mean Mina unnie!” She sounded so upset with me, making my heart ache. “You didn’t talk to me for weeks and just now you tried to ignore me!”

“I didn’t igno-“

“Oh hush unnie! Don’t even dare lie to me.” She sounded so serious. I wasn’t able to respond anymore.

The next thing I knew, I saw her hand laid out in front of me.
“Now let’s go. You’re gonna treat me dinner.” I slowly looked up to her and saw the same old Chaeng back. There’s her smile that I missed. I reached out my hand and held hers.

“Lead the way then.”

*****

We are now walking home after having a hearty meal. The midget has her hands around my arm, like a koala. I really wish she would stop clinging to me soon or else my chest’s gonna explode.

“Why are you being extra clingy today Chaeng?” I was looking forward, not daring to even take a glance at her. I still don’t know what’s going on her mind.

“You might get away and not talk to me again.” Her voice sound like she’s teasing but I still felt so guilty for temporarily abandoning her.

“Sorry for being a bitch.” I apologized sincerely.

“Why did you even stop talking to me? Ever since that night, I never heard anything from you. I even sent you messages which were just left seen.”

“You exactly know why Chaeng.”