Twenty Three: The Funeral

I sat silently in the car with my dad as he drove, staring out of the window as if I was in a music video.

I do wish this was a music video though, I wish I wasn't in the car on the way to my mum's funeral, I wish there was no funeral because I wish she was still alive. But I know that isn't going to happen.

It took at least a couple of hours to get to my mum's house, which is where we were stopping as we were going to the funeral with my mum's family (Richard, my half brothers and half sisters).

When we got there, dad knocked on their front door, both of us stood in black suits. The door opened, revealing my sister Riley in a beautiful black dress.

Knowing my mum, she would've wanted a colourful funeral, and I would've come in colourful clothing, but that would've been really inappropriate considering no one else is wearing colourful clothing. Unfortunately, my mum never got time to plan her own funeral, so it was all up to Richard, and apparently Riley.

"Come in." Riley smiled weakly at us. We walked inside and followed Riley into the kitchen where my brothers and sisters were. They were all in black dresses or suits, watching TV or just sitting, waiting.

"Where's your dad?" I asked.

"Outside." Riley answered, pointing towards the back door.

I nodded and walked outside to look for Richard. I made my way down the long garden and found Richard stood by a colourful flower bed.

I approached him, feeling sort of nervous. The last person he wants to see right now is me.

Richard looked up from the flowers and made eye contact with me. I saw the small smile on his face as I approached him, but he just couldn't force out an actual smile. I couldn't blame him.

Richard looked back down at the flowers, "these were your mum's. We planted them together, but she's the one who kept them alive." Richard told me.

I nodded and smiled, "she was always good at keeping things normal, even when everything went to shit."

Richard looked back up at me, "deep. If only she could do that now."

I felt tears threatening to fall, but I kept them in for Richard's sake. He was on the edge of breaking down and if I were to cry now, he'd probably turn into a wreck.

I felt slightly uncomfortable, I knew he didn't really like me much.

"We should um...we should go in a minute. The funeral starts in half an hour." I informed Richard. He nodded in response and began walking back to the house, so I followed him.

When we got back into the house, I saw my dad talking to Riley. They seemed deep in conversation. I smiled down at myself, glad our families were able to get along.

"Come on guys." Richard called out, causing my siblings to stand up and get ready.

We set off soon after, my dad's car following behind Richard's. After about a twenty minute drive, we finally made it to the crematorium where my mum's funeral was being held.

She was being cremated, obviously. I didn't get a say in the matter, but either way I agreed with it. I didn't want my mum rotting in dirt with a gravestone above her. A cremation seemed like a better send off.