Chapter 17: Mystery Meat and Sleeping Troubles

Third Person POV

As it turned out, Danny wasn't allowed to go to school the next day. Sam and Tucker had come over to visit and Danny had asked what he had missed at lunch, but Sam had told him they had run into problems and whatever she had planned didn't happen that day. But she had assured him that once he was back at school, he would see for himself. Danny spent the next month at home, with his friends and sister bringing him his work from school. During that month, Danny, Sam and Tucker explored the raven haired teen's newfound powers. They discovered he had the ability to transform so his appearance matched the one that Sam and Tucker had seen when he had came out of the portal. A white haired boy, with tan skin and glowing green eyes, wearing a black and white HAZMAT suit. They also learned he had some pretty insane powers. Flying, turning invisible and intangible, along with the ability to morph his legs into a ghostly tail. At first it seemed really cool, but they quickly learned the consequences behind this.

Even when in his human form, Danny's powers could still affect him. Parts of his body would randomly turn intangible or invisible and the young teen couldn't stop it from happening. His friends did their best to help him and cover for him, but they all feared discovery from the Fenton's who had now been working harder than ever to create new ghost weapons to attack and hunt the ghosts that would no doubt be coming out of the portal now.

Aside from all that, during the month he had spent at home, Danny was plagued by the same nightmare over and over. It was the exact same one he had in the hospital. The shadow figures, the red waters, the dead people in colorful costumes, and the man with the face of a bat. He had talked to both his friends at the hospital and now Jazz about these nightmares. No one knew what to make of them. Jazz thought it might be his forgotten memories trying to manifest themselves in his dreams. Due to his amnesia, they were all scrambled and wouldn't make much sense until his memories actually started to come back. Danny was upset that he still couldn't remember anything and that because of that, his odd dreams made no sense. The fact that he had the same one every night didn't help. On the bright side, he hadn't heard the annoying know-it-all voice in the back of his mind ever since the accident. Though a voice in his dreams sounded eerily similar to it.

One month later, Danny was riding in his sister's car on the way to school. The day before, Danny and his friends had gotten a quick lesson from Jack Fenton. Apparently, due to them sneaking down into the lab, Jack immediately assumed they wanted to become ghost hunters. When Sam and Tucker arrived to check up on Danny, the large man quickly rushed them all into the lab. Jack explained that he had never seen a ghost, introduced the Fenton thermos to them, showed them the now functional portal, and told them weird stories about his past. While all that had been happening, two ghosts had escaped from the Fenton Portal and attacked Sam and Tucker. Danny quickly had leaped into action and defeated the ghosts, transforming into his new alter ego. 

Jazz pulled into the parking lot of Casper High. She parked the car and turned off the engine. She and Danny both sat in silence, neither of making a move to exit the vehicle. "They do mean well." The older girl said suddenly. Danny turned to her, seeing that she was facing the windshield, her hands tightly gripping the steering wheel. "Just ignore that gear of theirs. You're not a ghost, it's probably just a side-effect from that stupid portal of theirs." When saying this, Jazz's tone turned venomous. Danny was surprised to hear her speak like that. He glanced at his hand and noticed that it had turned invisible. He gasped quietly and hid it behind his back.

"Jazz, I'm fine. Really!" The teen assured her, waving his currently visible hand at her. Jazz did not look convinced as she glanced at him, giving her younger adoptive brother a once over. Sighing, she loosened her grip on the wheel and grabbed the handle to open her door. Danny reached for his in kind and pulled on the handle, opening the door the tiniest bit. Jazz was concerned for her little brother and she felt like he was hiding something from her. It was bad enough that he couldn't remember his past, now he had to deal with the side effects of a crazy accident. She would be giving her parents a stern talking to about locking the lab when they weren't down there. Though, she realized, it might be a waste of breath as they never listen to her anyways.