35.

All I could think about was the party until the party arrived. Or I arrived at the party. It hadn't stopped feeling like the wrong decision. And with the way Eric and Flo had yelled at me, I don't think it would ever feel right.

Mich wasn't around, or he'd be the one to drop me there. He had no idea of this entire debacle. He just knew it was a party I was going to. He was the only one happy I was actually going. Oblivious, but happy.

Christopher wasn't happy I was going.

Eric wasn't happy I was going.

Flo wasn't happy I was going... without her. Might've been a bit of jealousy involved in her anger too.

I could've used her moral support as Eric cruised up to Sean's mansion. He promised to linger for awhile and be on call late, in case I didn't get a ride back, before zooming off. I felt some butterflies in my stomach as I watched him leave. I knew no one here. I wasn’t supposed to know Christopher, he didn’t count. And I didn't want to get to know Sean. He didn’t count either.

It was a beautiful house. Red brick walls spaced with huge French windows that spilled soft, welcoming light. There was a round driveway in front of the entrance. It encircled a circular patch of well trimmed grass, hedged with flowering bushed. I liked their lawn. Neat, no garden gnomes, no flamingos, no bird fountains or other tacky lawn ornaments. I hope he had a gazebo in the backyard. I love gazebos.

I walked across the road, my heels clicked as I ascended the the marble steps to the door. I could hear soft conversation inside as I rang the bell. It had been a while since I'd been to a party. It wouldn't be wild, that's for sure. About twenty-five people. Please. I've seen PTA meetings with a larger attendance and a wilder crowd.

Sean pulled the door open. His face lit up. "Fiera! I can't believe you actually came!"

"I know." I wasn't as enthusiastic in my greeting. "Me neither." He chuckled good-naturedly, and stepped aside to let me in. We had a brush by introduction with the few people who'd arrived before me as he ushered me to the bar to get my welcome drink. I recognised a few of them as they’d been placed in my Tier. I’d been with them inside that room at one point. The others I’d only seen in the hotel.

I smiled at the bartender as he set up to start making a drink. Makes sense Sean has a bartender. He won't be behind the bar making drinks for everyone all night. Probably has a chef too. A waiter would be overkill, wouldn't it?

No sooner had I touched the rim of my glass to my lips than someone tapped my shoulder. I stifled any of my anxiety from showing on my face as I turned to face the person.

Francis.

He'd greeted me quite enthusiastically and I'm pretty sure I'd said something fitting back before he pulled me into his arms. Images of a bloody, unconscious guy under me flooded my mind as he hugged me. It was a bit hard to compare the former bloody visage to the well-suited guy in front of me. He’d given me the most frustrating time.

"You look beautiful." He gushed as he pulled away. His hand on my back to guide me. "Come join us. I believe you've met her before too."

Francis whistled at a brunette busy tapping away on her phone screen. She twisted around and her face clicked immediately too.

"Anita!" I decided to lead the charge first. My voice was squeaky as I continued. "How are you?!" Please don't choke me with my drink tonight.

"Fiera?!" She gasped, giving me a once over. "You look so good! I didn't think you were capable of dressing up." She rounded the sofa, winking as she spoke. "Of course, I prefer you in a tank top and shorts, more to see."