Thirty Nine

{edited}

May POV {16 years ago}

"What?!" I hear my Dad's voice say loudly with anger. "You are joking right?!"

I walk down the stairs and sit on the steps.

"John I'm sorry-"

"May isn't mine?! That's why she doesn't look like me?! Who the hell is her father then?!"

"You are!" I hear my mother shout back.

"To hell I am! She's not even mine?! The fucking real father can raise her!"

"John, please just..."

"Just what? Accept the fucking fact that she isn't related to me?!"

"She is, in a way." Silence falls for a long time.

"Nick is her father?!" My fathers voice says with rage. "Are you fucking serious?!"

"I'm sorry!" My mother sounds like she's crying. Something slams and I go to the kitchen.

I see my Father turn toward me and as well as my Mother. "May go upstairs." My Mom says. Her eyes look red and sad.

"I'm cold." I respond.

"You have a blanket." She growls.

"But it's not keeping me warm." I say.

"May, just go upstairs." My father says. His voice is soft. I sniffle.

"I'm cold though." I say again. My mother leaves the kitchen angerily. She soon comes back with a blanket from the couch and throws it at me. I stumble back a bit.

"There, you brat. Now go." My eyes well up by her actions and words.

"You have to call her a brat?! And fucking throw it at her?" My father snaps back. My mother remains silent.

I feel tears run down my cheeks. "Why aren't you going?" She asks. "You have your blanket, now go."

I look down at me feet and pick up the blanket. My father kneels down in front of me and wipe the tears leaving my eyes. "Do you need anything else May?" I shake my head 'no'. "Can you please go upstairs? Your Mom and I need to talk." His voice is gentle. I nod. He kisses my cheek and stands up.

I walk away and go to the stairs. I use my hands to help me go up.

"Wow heartwarming." My mother says sarcastically.

"She doesn't deserve to be treated like shit just because you opened your legs to my brother. I bought her new blanket, what happened to it?"

"I gave it to Sadie." Silence falls.

I don't hear the rest of their conversation. I open my bedroom door and look around my room. It's very plain.

My walls are white unlike my sisters that have colors. I have a twin bed that has white sheets. I have one pillow, and my blanket is one of those small blankets you can buy at Walmart for 2 dollars.

My dresser is beside my wall closest to my window. Then I have a lamp on top of it.

I slide onto my bed and put my bear on my lap. It's small but it keeps me feeling safe.

My Mom says I need to earn nice things. Maybe I can get a real blanket if I behave well.I wipe my nose and lay down. I stare at my ceiling and bite my lip. I remember one time I took a barbie from Sadie's room to play with and my Mom yelled at me saying it's not nice to take other peoples things. I don't have any toys or books. All of the toys are my sisters.